Pontine Islands, Italy

Tintin

Visit site
Hi, any pointers from those in the know about the Pontine Islands in Italy.

Any must sees?

Good places for snorkelling?

Anchorages?

What to avoid?

etc....

Gonna be there in mid may,

thx

rd

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
Ventotene

The harbour at Ventotene is astonishing. We arrived in the middle of the night, moored to substantial stone bollards and crashed out. On waking in the morning we realised that the Romans had dug out the harbour from the bedrock, including the bollards. The deep rope grooves on them testified that folk had been mooring to those bollards for the best part of two thousand years.

tennisgirl1

yachtvigdis.wordpress.com
We visited in June 2007 so my info. may be out of date. However, in Ponza we anchored overnight at Cala Inferno north of the main town. We were woken at 6a.m. by locals, to inform us that we must move as a water boat would be coming into the anchorage. The water boat did indeed arrive and we had to move, so I think that's one overnight anchorage to avoid.

In Ponza harbour itself, we found that the area for anchoring outside the ferry area was larger than we expected and quite well marked by buoys. The coastguards patrolled in a rib making sure that no boats were anchored in dangerous positions. Ponza town was a typical old Italian town, but in festival mode all decorated with lights. In the town you could also moor at one of the pontoons operated by several different concessions but I imagine it would be expensive - Italy is expensive.

We sailed around the island which is well worthwhile - spectacular cliffs and rock formations with interesting colouring. On the west coast we stopped for lunch at Cala di Feola where room to anchor was quite limited.

http://yachtvigdis.wordpress.com