gimmesunshine

Visit site
how much would you expect to pay to polish hull of an s28, plus the top sides
i havent really got the time this season
anyone recommend someone in poole ?
thanks

mm1

Visit site
Hi,Tom@ poole yacht services(unit in front of slip) has done mine for years,no complaints& quite reasonable,regards mm1.
tel 07973258132 or 01202675469.

AndieMac

Visit site
How many times a year do they polish?

If its only once, that is pretty dear.

A good man should be able to wash, mild cut and wax coat a 20 foot boat in under 6 hours.

geardownthreegreens

Visit site
I agree with last 2 comments. 20ft bayliner,you should be doing that yourself, and to pay £400,i'll do it for £300 for you lol and supply /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm just about to go out and wash and polish my 23ft crownline today easily.

enterprise

Visit site
We had our Targa 28 done end of 2007,full compound cut & polish.
It was pretty oxidised & really needed a proffesional job but once done it has made keeping the shine simple to maintain.

£800, (south coast price).

PhilipF

Visit site
We've never bothered with this - should we?

Strikes me as a waste of time and polish. Looks shiny enough to me for the three years since we bought it. Never polished our car either!

enterprise

Visit site
Might be ok for you Philip, but when the time comes to trade it in for a newer model then an immaculate showroom model will be easier to sell & retain a higher value.

I know it's just a generalisation but the first impression of how well a boat has been looked after usually has something to do with how clean & shiney it is when presented to a prospective buyer(especially her in doors).

The last boat we sold was immaculate by the time we sold her & we have bought some pretty awfull looking boats to date.
The last & current one were cosmetic restoration only but we always get a bargain due to the overall condition, often discounting way above the cost of repair/restoration.
You see many buyers would walk away from a boat that needs work, the owner then gets dispondant, so when someone takes an interest 50/50 they take a low offer, of course if they dont, they will probably be trying to sell for a long time.

Once returned to showroom condition you can recoup most of the depreciation cost along with the restoration cost ( as long as most other boats of simmilar age & type remain neglected).
In fact we have been so successfull that our last three boats have sold for more than we bought them for even in a depressed market, so 10yrs boating without depreciation.

I know cleaning & polishing is not for everyone but it does give the likes of me who dont mind, the opportunity to own a better boat than otherwise we could afford & put the value back in with time & effort.

So anyone out there with a Fairline Targa 34 please start neglecting your boat now, I might be looking to buy in about 5yrs. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LordJohn

Visit site
yes, i think it is very important. It is easy to spot neglected hulls after just a couple of years. The lustre is missing particularly on blue hulls.

AndieMac

Visit site
Every owner is different, it is a matter of personal choice. IMO its another level of protection for my prized possession.

The wax coat stops impregnation of the gel coat, it easy to apply and makes the boat look loved. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif