Plymouth

christopherc

Visit site
Having moved to Swansea last year, for a variety of reasons I'm thinking of moving back to Plymouth. I've been offered a temp berth at the Yacht Haven which seems reasonable. I haven't investigated availability yet, and wondered if anyone had any advice. There seem to be winter berths available, but what happens when winter is over? Is there a risk I wind up without a permanent berth? I was hoping someone with experience of the area might be able to advise. I'm thinking of moving before existing fees due end of October, as I think Plymouth will offer more options for getting out on the water in the harbour area in less clement conditions

christopherc

Visit site
Thanks, I'm vaguely aware of the larger marinas, I picked the boat up from QAB originally. Reassuring to hear there are always berths available, today someone told me there is a waiting list for the Haven which had me a little concerned.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I am not sure about that, last year all of the major marinas were running a waiting list, (Mayflower, PYH, Sutton, QAB.) you can probably get a mooring with huggins who run torpoint yacht harbour.

Last year we went from a mooring at topoint, and into pyh. I put myself on the list In July of 2006,, and was assured that we would have no problem as 9.5 meters is a handy size....

Anyways March 2007 rolls along and we are told that the place was full. A quick check around with others and no offers.

As we were on the hard at PYH, and had been mightly reassured, I became a bit more vociferous, and they managed to hook me up with a Sub-let. (Which is really too small for us.)

I dont think you will have a problem with a winter spot, but you need to get yourself on everyones list asap. I suspect that 9.5 meters is no longer a handy size, but in fact is a bad size, as any births of around their can take a bigger boat (More pounds) and you cant really get us on something smaller!!!

Apparently I have been assured that I will definetly get our own birth this year.

BTW Mayflower is a shareholder marina, with shares traded privately, a few years back a share was around 4K, this year 8k with a waiting list.....

So the demand in plymouth has picked up big time in the past 2-3 years.

jonathankent

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
you can probably get a mooring with huggins who run torpoint yacht harbour

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't count on that either.... Torpoint is full, and Millbrook very nearly!!

jonathankent

Visit site
I see that... I just wandered if you happened to keep your boat there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My mate has recently put his there, hence how I know what "free space" is available.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
That's why we went to PYH,, that extra half hour.

They should be able to sort out a mooring, but pontoons are a big wait, they have a excellent water taxi,, and the Edgecombe moorings are Very Nice. But the taxi (used to) stop at 9pm. Parking was at Torpoint. Cost around £1200 per annum 2 years ago,, plus a fee for the pick-up. Figure adding a winter birth ashore or in a marina, plus lifts, etc, and I dont think it really adds up to any savings. But we really miss the privacy and peace of the mooring.. Just call around and get on the lists now!!

feelingkarma

Visit site
I think there is a waiting list at PYH but if you take a winter berth they put you onto the list and you get precedence over people who have not had a winter berth.This is the route I took 18 months ago. I was offered a permanant berth towards the end of the winetr rate.

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
Can't blame you for leaving Swansea - Bristol Channel is one of my most hated places. We moved from Milford Haven to Plymouth YH this season and have no regrets. My experience: (1) there was a waiting list but this seemed to shrink (a promise of 'a berth in five years' turned into one), (2) there always seem to be empty berths at least in the 'old' part near Turnchapel. Having said that Sutton Harbour are re-doing their lock which has meant a number of berth holders want to move out because the lock is becoming a tidal gate. I know one guy who cannot find a berth in the area for his 27' racer so maybe my belief that there are berths in YH is wrong. The other side of the coin though is that you may get a berth in Sutton.

ronsurf

Visit site
I bought my 21' Corribee in March and had a devil's own job finding a mooring. I was told there was no room in any of the Marinas. I was advised to wait for a winter mooring as they are often offered permanent moorings but nothing is guaranteed. There are rumoured to be possible moorings available further up the Tamar that also have the benefit of being cheaper. Plymouth seems to have gone boat-bonkers in the last couple of years, so there must be plenty of demand, possibly caused by all the waterfront developments!
Got to say though, compared to Swansea, it's paradise!

EUXINE_Rival

Visit site
We took a winter berth in PYH and there was no problem. In the spring we were able to stay where we were. This was on P pontoon which is alongside berths rather than fingers. We then had to wait about two years to get a finger berth in the main marina area. No problem though. Go for it.