Plymouth queries

Duffer

Visit site
After a very pleasant few days cruising the sound with the OAPs (apart from being buzzed by waterskiers in Jennycliff Bay) a couple of queries for you -

(1) A couple of moorings have appeared recently in the River Lynher between Jupiter Point and Shillingham Point, off Antony House. One has been taken by a tatty old passenger vessel covered in plastic sheeting. These moorings wreck one of the few remaining unspoilt anchorages in the area as they take up the deep hole that was one of our favourite spots. Who would have authorised the laying of these moorings - is it Plymouth Harbour Authority or does someone else own the river bed?

(2) Last Friday (3rd May) the warships had their flags at half mast including a very fancy Dutch one - anyone know why? We thought it might be a Falklands anniversary as there was nothing on the news.

Thanks.

jerryat

Visit site
Your first question depends on who owns the fundus (river bed) and the Queen's Harbourmaster (QHM) who controls the positioning of all moorings in the navigable rivers forming the Port of Plymouth.

If you want to contact the man 'most likely to know', telephone the AQHM (Assisitant QHM) on Plymouth 836485. I don't know who owns the fundus but suspect that its the Duchy of Cornwall (Charlie Boy!) who used to, and maybe still have their offices in Liskeard.

I sincerely hope this isn't part of some creeping 'fill-in' of some of our quietest and lovely spots that are, at least for the time being, all free to anchor in, unlike Fowey and Falmouth!

Please let us know what you find out!

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
[ QUOTE ]
(2) Last Friday (3rd May) the warships had their flags at half mast including a very fancy Dutch one - anyone know why? We thought it might be a Falklands anniversary as there was nothing on the news.

[/ QUOTE ] Almost certainly because there was a service funeral taking place somewhere. I am afraid that I was not in my office Wednesday and Thursday, so I didn't see the signal that would have told me whose it was and where.

If you are really interested I will find out on Tuesday.

Duffer

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. I'll try to find out who if anyone authorised these moorings.

I'm sorry to hear about the marine who died.

Duffer

Visit site
I spoke to the AQHM - he will get his surveyor to look at the new moorings in the River Lynher. I'll let you know of any feedback. Concerning waterskiers these should stick to the northern end of Jennycliff bay, between the green buoy and Mountbatten, which is their designated area. (We were anchored down towards the beacon at the southern end of the bay). You can also let him know about badly marked lobsterpots as far out as the Shagstone - it seems the laws are there but are not being enforced concerning speed boats and pots.