Plug for Torqeedo 12v charging lead

Poignard

Visit site
1615228595340.png

Anyone know where I can buy one of these connectors?

A 12 v charging lead from Torqeedo costs ca £39 which seems a bit steep for a length of cable with this on one end and a cigar lighter plug on the other so I thought I'd make my own.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If that's a circular connector at the end, what are the inner and outer diameter? Most combinations are easily found on eBay - for example, 12V is often 5.5mm OD, 2.1mm ID.

migs

Visit site
Ah yes; I’ve made up one of these leads. First of all, the plug is a slightly unusual size at 5.5 x 2.5. Secondly, the plug I bought from eBay was useless and I ended up having to buy a decent Switchcraft plug from RS (876-8653) . Thirdly, you need to use as thick cables as you can get into the plug shell because the current is quite high. And that also means you need a decent 12V connector on the other end - I use Blue Sea connectors - otherwise the connector will get hot.

Incidentally, I also made up a charging lead with a Chinese 12V-24V DC-DC converter in the lead which charges the battery twice as fast.

Poignard

Visit site
Ah yes; I’ve made up one of these leads. First of all, the plug is a slightly unusual size at 5.5 x 2.5. Secondly, the plug I bought from eBay was useless and I ended up having to buy a decent Switchcraft plug from RS (876-8653) . Thirdly, you need to use as thick cables as you can get into the plug shell because the current is quite high. And that also means you need a decent 12V connector on the other end - I use Blue Sea connectors - otherwise the connector will get hot.

Incidentally, I also made up a charging lead with a Chinese 12V-24V DC-DC converter in the lead which charges the battery twice as fast.
Thanks. That's very helpful, and a very useful tip about the 2V-24V DC-DC. Can you remember where you bought that or are they readily available?

migs

Visit site

JumbleDuck

Visit site

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
AFAIK@ the Torquedo works at 48v. Any charging below that will be stepped up by the battery software. But it would be worth checking this out first! The guys at Nestaway are very helpful.

migs

Visit site
Ok, just for the record: the Torqeedo Travel has an 8S (actually 8S8P) LiFePO4 cell pack that moves between ~ 20V empty to ~29.6V full. The battery housing includes a built-in charging circuit that takes the 12V or 24V presented by you at the charging connector (current limited to 4A) and clever electronic circuitry adapts that feed as needed to charge the battery.

As far as charging goes, the user doesn’t really care what type and voltage battery is fitted; you just need to comply with the manufacturers charging instructions.

Poignard

Visit site
Can anyone tell me why is the charger connection socket (see item 3 in picture)on my Torqeedo 1103c only reading minus 5.2 volts even though the battery is 100% charged?

I would have expected it to show the full battery voltage, whatever that is. And for the centre pin to be positive with respect to the outer sleeve.

1625594771406.png

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Can anyone tell me why is the charger connection socket (see item 3 in picture)on my Torqeedo 1103c only reading minus 5.2 volts even though the battery is 100% charged?

I would have expected it to show the full battery voltage, whatever that is. And for the centre pin to be positive with respect to the outer sleeve.

View attachment 118433

The charge unit connection goes to a built in charge controller, so you are not reading the battery voltage but whatever the controller puts on those pins