Ploughing

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Poor boy dredging? Break up consolidated seabed and let the current wash away the loosened material. Just a guess.
Googling suggests it’s a method of determine seabed suitability for installation of bottom supported structures including pipeline and cable support.

ProMariner

Visit site
1665685356467.png
page3image1650542208

Dragging one of these about the sea bed, it acts like a big broomstick, sweeping the sediment from shallow to deep. Don't go anywhere near a boat engaged in this, very limited manoeuvrability, and it takes a lot of concentration.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Rick Kardy had a Tug at Mayland.(River Blackwater) Due to issues with the conservationists etc. he could not undertake any dredging of the channel to the marina area in the normal manner without special permission. So one of his tricks was to stir the bed with a rake & the ebb would take the mud in suspension out with it.
This is a system undertaken in places like Grimsby dock. ( well they did when I was there last)They stir the bed & drag it along, then open the lock gates & let some water out in a rush & it takes out mud with it
So I assume that the operation mentioned by the Op is a similar system. Stir the bed by raking & letting the current move the silt.
Just a guess so I may be wrong. Others may comment :oops: