Plastimo furler line problem/solution...

steve_l

Visit site
A little while ago, someone posted about a problem with their furler line jamming in the gap between the drum and the cover and I promised to take a pic of my solution next time I was on the boat. Unfortunately I didn't get to the boat as soon as I had hoped but now eventually here's the pic...

15062013963.jpg

The shackle is free to rotate so the line can find it's own place on the drum but not long enough to allow the line to ride up (or down) into the gap between the drum and the cover.
Even though the run from the block on the stanchion to the drum is pretty well perfect, it still somehow jammed occassionally.
Anyway, simple solution which has worked for me for 10+ years now...

-steve-

aslabend

Visit site
Brilliant, I wasn't the op of the question but have a plastimo furler and every now and then it traps (usually when you're in a hurry)
Cheers

ditchcrawler

Visit site
There was a similar solution published some years ago in PBO where there was a straight shackle fixed on each side of the gap through a drilled hole with a third shackle in the middle which then was effectively a slot.

steve_l

Visit site
There was a similar solution published some years ago in PBO where there was a straight shackle fixed on each side of the gap through a drilled hole with a third shackle in the middle which then was effectively a slot.

Nice, but far too elegant and complicated for me :)

winsbury

Visit site
Steve, what size shackle did you use, we had another foul up at the weekend and want to try your method.

mdonnelly

Visit site
Have used this method in last few months and it has resolved the problem. Such an easy solution to a potentially serious problem. Kneeling on the foredeck in rough conditions sorting out a jam in the drum was not fun.

rotrax

Visit site
Did the twist shackle mod on a previous boat which worked fine.
It required a little tension on the furling line as the sheet was pulled to ensure it wound up nicely-but most systems benifit from that.