plastic/perpex sheet

Wiggo

Visit site
If I wanted to make up an A2 portable chartholder, from say a 4mm sheet of plastic, with a 2-3mm perspex lid hinged at the top, so I could keep paper charts on the flybridge...

Anyone know where I could get the material, and how would I attach a hinge? Any preference on material if I want to scribble on it with a chinagraph pencil?

<hr width=100% size=1>Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

Vara

Visit site
Buy a mapcase like the ones <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Map_Cases___Document_Bags_144.html>Here </A>slide in suitably sized bit of hard board or similar put chart on top zip up and you have water proof secure plotting board.
I tried the hinge and sheet method and I couldn't make it water tight.

NB Site is used as illustration only you can get suitable map cases from loads of places.

<hr width=100% size=1>If it cant be fixed with a lump hammer don't fit it

tcm

Visit site
homebase or one of the "shed" places do plastic, might've been b+q - it has preotective plastic front and back. dunno if it's the right stuff tho, so take a pencil in and have a go.

I think i wd get this made, actually. Otherwise without machine tools it may look a bit of a bodge. The bottom bit of plasti shoud be white opaque imho, with holes for drainage like the fairline i'm guessing, and the top transparent

<hr width=100% size=1>

Wiggo

Visit site
Thanks for the link. Waterproof doesn't bother me - I want something rigid that will hold an unfolded Admiralty Small Craft Folio sheet i.e. A2, and that I can carry up onto the flybridge when I need to. It will stand up against the flybridge coaming alongside the helmseat, so it's easily to hand, but it will come downstairs when we get where we're going.

Talbot

Visit site
Plenty of places in portsmouth that sell perspex/polycarbonate etc. For this I would use perspex. Dont really see that it matters very much if the bottom sheet is white/shaded/or clear, but could do with being thicker than top.
Hinge would probably best be a piano hinge that extends the whole length of the top end (make sure the holes drilled for the through bolts provide a loose fit, otherwise the sun will expand the steel and split the perspex).
You need to consider whether you want to be able to work on the chart, or write on the top surface. Would recommend that you draw on the chart itself, because anything you use on the top surface that is temporary will smear in wet conditions (including chinagraph grease pencils).
You also need to consider how you hold the two pieces of perspex together, This could be velcro, or even a "Lift the dot" fastener as used on the canopies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Wiggo

Visit site
idea is chartwork on the chart, running positions on the plastic with chinagraph (if I'm feeling keen, or want to put any visiting raggies to shame). Need to ensure the chart stays put, or the fixes get a little pointless, of course.

Howardnp

Visit site
The plastic you buy at places such as B&Q and other DIY shops is usually the stuff for making secondary double glazing and as a consequence you may find that it is a bit too brittle.. However used as just the cover it may be OK provided the backing bit is substantial. Chinagraph does work on it - used for something similar while diving.

<hr width=100% size=1>

robp

Visit site
Someone like Display developments Ltd 020 8 640 9415 keep it all. Or a fabrication company like Talking Plastics at Waterlooville 023 92 596268 will probably advise you - and even make it if you wanted. Loads of them though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

marklongstaff

Visit site
Clear Polycarbonate sheet can be bought from RS Components - tougher than yer B & Q variety 3.0 x 610 x 1250 sheet £20 - though you have to buy at least 2!! hmm - find a friend who wants some!! - there is a different type PETG Copolyester not sure how tough that is but you can buy it in single sheets

<hr width=100% size=1>

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I made mine from plywood(then varnished),used flexible acetate sheet from the art shop held in place by a 1 inch piece of ply screwed to the top of the ply.& bent the sheet under at the bottom held by small bulldog clips.It works a treat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Used to fix with chinagraph pen onto chart covered over with a perspex sheet on an open topped minesweeper a number of years ago. Its a bit of a bummer when the water dripping off your hood/cap washes the last fix off the perspex /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardabeattie

Visit site
You don't need a hinge. Just use two sheets of plastic. put your charts between them and hold them together with a big rubber band cut out of a bit of car tyre inner tube. Lasts for years.

<hr width=100% size=1>

wishbone

www.reflect-designs.co.uk
Noooooooo! go to your friendly sign shop...if they have a acrylic line bender ask the them to fold a sheet of 3mm acrylic....no need for hinges or other fastnings, you can see the type of thing in the window of most estate agents, charts etc can be sandwiched between.....

www.reflect-designs.co.uk follow links to smiths estate re-fit for example

<hr width=100% size=1>Wishbone
Rolling, rolling, rolling keep them doggies moving!
Where’s me chuck wagon gone?

jimbouy

www.bluemoonlight.co.uk
on my previous boat I had the whole small craft folio, 2 pages back to back, between sheets of b&Q cheap shed acrylic taped round the edges with waterproof duck tape.Worked a treat.

<hr width=100% size=1> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoonlight.co.uk>http://www.bluemoonlight.co.uk</A>

Ships_Cat

Visit site
Line Bender

I can see a few uses for similar holders for various documents/display on commercial boats I am involved with so would like to butt in to ask:

How tight can the bend be ie how close together can the two halves be when folded together? Say with 3 mm acrylic.

Thanks

John

<hr width=100% size=1>I am the cat but I am only 6.