Planning tender with 4hp

snowleopard

Visit site
i have a 2.4m zodiac with wooden floor and inflatable keel. with only me on board it will plane with a 3.3 hp motor. (i displace 18 stone so two normal people would probably be ok!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
done it with a 3.5 hp on an avon
but i was about 11and had to crouch in the middle but was not hard.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.</font color=red>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Fit a flashing orange light

Dear Heart, (weight reduction advantage over noble self) Yamaha Malta, baby capricorn (our small zodiac) Tobermory Harbour, July 2002.
winner mixed open womens all comers, slightly deranged, smile if your a vegetarian and lets get out of here with the fresh milk before it costs us a tenner class (less than 3m)

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

snowleopard

Visit site
steering with body weight

out in the caribbean i noticed that lots of people stand up in their dinghies, either holding onto the painter or using a tiller extension. seems to be a macho thing.

tried it a few times, steering by moving the body which worked quite well, but never figured out why they do it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Re: steering with body weight

Used to steer a dinghy club's safety boat (a 14ft dory) like this. By standing, got a better view all around the lake. Just shifting weight from one leg to the other would make it turn fairly gently. Moving completely to one side or the other would tighten the turn.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Honda 2HP planes with 2 up in our Tinker Traveller 12', even with mast rigged and jib on roller. Should see the looks as we went through a French anchorage planing in an inflatable sailing dinghy! If I hadn't done it I would not believe it possible and actually with my weight it is reaqlly like being 3 up. The Tinker hull is a bit like a 'cathedral' hull since the floor is a bit higher than the tubes, pobably gives an air cushion to help lift on the plane???

<hr width=100% size=1>

pkb

Visit site
I'm sure you got some looks and probably deserved them. Planing even in a dinghy through an achorage is hardly considerate behaviour.

Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Peter

We skirted the anchorage actually (we were some half mile offshore since we have over 2m,in an area where powerboats were still planing and yachts doing hull speed)made no wash and no more noise than if slower. Give me some credit for common sense, at least the French had a sense of humour. This was posted in answer to a question, I don't suppose any of the others who replied did their trials mid atlantic either.

Robin

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
I\'d contest that

A planing dinghy produces far less wake than one just below that speed.

And the question of speed is only really important when swimmers might be around.

What I would agrre with is that it is doubtful practice going through parked boats - if for no other reason than the departure from their boat of some unaware yottie, straight out in front of you.

If you're chugging along at displacement speed the temptation to take a short cut through the mooring area is far too great.

<hr width=100% size=1>