Planning our first foray beyond the Blackwater.

MoodySabre

Visit site
That all looks fine to me as far as Cliff Foot. It does get a bit low but never enough to make me alter course (1.7m fin keel) - you can always head out a little if it worries you. The first time is always the most exciting/worrying.

I don't have a close up chart of Harwich here but once you are at Cliff Foot the yacht track just takes you alongside the red buoys (to starboard). In the middle of the track there is a small E Cardinal marking the edge of Harwich Shelf and you need to leave that to port. Once you get to Grisle you can then beeline for Shotley. Call them up from the posts.

Let us know how it goes. If I can do it then you should be fine.

Hunson

Visit site
Thanks MS,

Am looking forward to it. Weather permitting of course. Its worrying the other half at the moment (the whole trip), but my only major concern is the pots and visibility of there markers.

Will be keeping a close eye of depth sounder.

Will report back on how things go.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Only thing to add to Roger's post is to say, be careful at Lowish water to not only stay outside Harwich Shelf as Roger suggests, but also don't cut too far inside Guard, which is the big red marking the shipping channel into the Stour..... its fine at HW, but can get a little tight at LW....

enjoy the trip

Hunson

Visit site
Ahh,

So note to add to my instructions (yes I have made some /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif no idea if they will make any sense but ) Grisle to Guard (port side) then turn towards Marina Marks.

I had been warned not to think about going past Harwich Shelf on the starboard side.

I don't have my instructions with me, but I think I have got us going into Harwich i.e. from Stone Banks into Cliff Foot at the end of the ebb and from Cliff Foot into Grisle at the start of the flood.

Hm, I know I was advised not to get too deep into the planning, but I have done a nice passage plan which I will post up later for hints tips and general critique.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Your other half should be told that you are always close to land (they think that's a good thing for some perverse reason) with plenty to look at. It's only a few hours - not much longer than a good day sail expect you are not coming back the same day. As I have said before, if you get past Colne Bar and if seems too lumpy then give it up or at least motor sail and get it over with quickly.

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
I can feel you (and SWMBO) getting quite anxious about this trip and you needn't be.

Use navigation marks and landmarks to know where you are at all times, check your chart regularly so you know where the deeper water is.

Keep a close eye on the echo sounder and if it gets too shallow for comfort, steer towards the deeper water.

Once out into coastal waters it isn't much more complicated than keeping the coast on your left hand side and staying in a reasonable depth of water.

Then look out for pots.

By the time you can see the cranes at Felixstowe you will be thinking about the deep water channel. As this is used by container ships and ferries it's best to keep out of it if you can. If I am feeling lazy, or can't get down to the nav table to work out tidal heights, I follow the channel in keeping close to the bouys where I can duck out of the channel if a big ship comes, or duck into it if it goes too shallow.

Watch out for ferries and other ships which turn into the Stour at Guard.

I presume someone has told you about the Inogen lights in the entrance to Shotley and how they work?

Hunson

Visit site
Hi ECB,

I think as you say we are both a little anxious. Mine is one of those excited anxiousness types, excitement/anxious/worried/excited/concerned in one big lump /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I am the sort that would happily head off knowing where I want to be and how to get there (i.e. out of the Blackwater and turn left) and just do it ensuring that there was ample fluid under the keel and not too windy and no hidden pot markers as my only real safety concerns. And if anything should happen then deal with it then.

Lou (my other half) is health and safety conciousness itself. And I think at the moment she is getting a bit down with her psoriasis, that I think she is worried that we will have a stressful time and she will have a full breakout. Which unfortunately happened once last year after a cock up of my making.

My latest passage plan taken from the advice here, will keep us about 1 nm from land except when we cross from Stone Banks to Cliff Foot but then should be able to see plenty of land around and the felixstowe cranes.

My plan for entering and keeping out of the deep channel was to pass the reds close on my starboard, so staying outside the channel with ability to duck in (like youself) if needs be.

No you are the first to mention the Inogen lights, but I have seen them mentioned in ECP. Have only quickly glanced at this, but will have a good read before we set off and have it on board for the journey.

Hunson

Visit site
Well, here is my passage plan. I have basically taken advice offered and adapted as necessary. It is a very rough plan as I have more experience sailing than doing technical stuff like passage planning.

My tide time is based on Mersea Hard when leaving Bradwell and my tidal streams are based on my perception of HW at Dover (taken from ECP).

19th August:

Depart Bradwell Marina 12.41 HW is 14.41, distance is 6.7nm to Colne Bar. Estimated speed of travel is going to be 4 knots. Tidal Stream at this time is -1.7 so overall speed will be 2.3kts for the first hour covering a distance of 2.3nm. Tidal Stream for the 2nd hour is -1.2 giving a speed of 2.8kts. Over 2 hours distance travelled is 5.1nm with 1.6 remaining. 3rd hour tide is slack so speed of 4kts covering the remaining distance in approx 20-30minutes. Overall journey time to Colne Bar Approx 2hrs 20-30 minutes

Colne Bar departure between 15-00 and 16-00, distance to Holland on Sea Radar Mast 7.5nm. Tidal stream is +1.8 giving a speed of 5.8kts covering 5.8nm in first hour. 2nd hour tidal stream is +2.4 with a speed of 6.4kts. Distance remaining 1.7nm which should be covered in about 20-30 minutes. Overall journey time to HOS Rdr Mst. Approx 1hour 20-30 minutes.

HOS Rdr Mst to Naze Pier is 3.9nm. Tidal stream is +2.4 giving a speed of 6.4kts. Overall journey time is Approx 40 minutes.

Naze Pier to Stone Banks is 3 nm. Tidal steam is +2.2 giving speed of 6.2kts. Overall journey time is Approx 30-40 minutes.

Stone Banks to Cliff Foot is 2.4nm. Tidal stream +2.2 giving speed of 6.2kts. Overall journey time is Approx 20-30 minutes.

Cliff Foot to Grisle distance is 1.3nm. Tidal stream -0.7 giving a speed of 3.3kts. Overall journey time Approx 20 minutes.

Grisle to Marina Marks distance is 1nm. Tidal stream -0.7 giving speed of 3.3kts. Overall journey time Approx 20 minutes.

The last part Grisle to Marina Marks will change slightly after advice from ECB about not going to far inside Guard, so will adjust course to take account of the and head to Guard from Grisle and then across to the Marin Marks.

I hope that this seems ok. I think I have got the jist of things from what advice I have seen and my understanding of passage planning. I think that the overall journey time will be around 6.5 to 7 hours.

Comments welcome.

MoodySabre

Visit site
That is NOT a rough plan - it's a blooming detailed one!

Obviously a faster passage would be leave nearer HW Bradwell but given your length of passage I agree that leaving earlier will give you an earlier arrival which will be welcome by your crew. (and you at the Shipwreck bar no doubt). With a helpful wind that should work out fine.

I must confess to never having done a detailed plan like that (the nearest was timing for Portland Bill bringing my boat home). I just say 25nm say 5 knots = 5 hours +/- the wind/sea state. Sometimes it's 4+ hours and sometimes it's 6 - when the admiral comments I just shrug "don't blame me, I'm doing my best" - of course my best is not always good enough/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go for it! I might be over at Bradwell on 19th so I'll say hello.

Hunson

Visit site
Thanks Gents, from the responses I gather that I have not done too bad.

Detail taken from what TG said earlier in the post.

MS: Leaving earlier is to make allowances for our sailing ability in making the right speed/direction to where we actually want to go.

6d: I am sure I will be doing one from Heybridge to Wells at some stage, parents live in Holt and Bro and Sis in law are moving back up there next year. So a trip up that way would be definately on the cards. If this one goes alright. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I applaud your efforts - and I can't fault any of your theoretical calculations.
But... I've seen this happen before when I used to teach - the tendency to 'over'navigate.
Just get out there, and do it. It's not that hard or complicated.
Theory is just that - theory.
No plan survives first contact with reality.

Hunson

Visit site
Totally agree with you that theory is just that. I use it everyday explaining to my customers the way something is supposed to work "In Theory" but be prepared for the unexpected.

Am managing to earn bonus points from other half /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif for taking getting there seriously and having a plan.

Only told her about 30 mins ago that this plan is only to get us there not back again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Only another 3 boxes of pencils to get through to get us back to the basin.