Places to visit in Lyme Bay

prv

Visit site
Torquay is fine for a visit - easy access anytime. Don't believe all this over-hype about it being some sort of unsafe ghetto.

It's a Seajet thing, he says the same about all sorts of unlikely places. Southampton is a veritable war zone, apparently, which he wouldn't visit without a heavy machine gun (he once saw someone shove someone else in a pub here, I think :) ).

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
PRV,

I've had the misfortune to go to Torquay several times over the years, both by sea and road ( the latter once involved sleeping in a Triumph Spitfire Mk3, must be worth some sort of badge surely ? ) - if I had to go there by boat I would, I'd just be wary; I met a crew in Brixham who had just come from there and were quite shaken, having had ' street furniture ' like traffic island lights etc thrown into the marina.

The locals didn't make that video for nothing, did they ?!

AS I say I'd go there if I had to but places like Brixham & Dartmouth are a helluva lot nicer.

Tranona

Visit site
PRV,

I've had the misfortune to go to Torquay several times over the years, both by sea and road ( the latter once involved sleeping in a Triumph Spitfire Mk3, must be worth some sort of badge surely ? ) - if I had to go there by boat I would, I'd just be wary; I met a crew in Brixham who had just come from there and were quite shaken, having had ' street furniture ' like traffic island lights etc thrown into the marina.

The locals didn't make that video for nothing, did they ?!

AS I say I'd go there if I had to but places like Brixham & Dartmouth are a helluva lot nicer.

Perhaps the perpetrators were on holiday from Ryde on the Isle of Wight. Seems you are a magnet for trouble that nobody else seems to experience.

Seajet

Visit site
Seems more like I get around places winter & summer and see more than people with pipe & slippers tucked behind double glazing saying ' isn't this a wonderful place '. :rolleyes:

I mention my personal experiences, I don't say ' don't do this, do that ', nor do I seek to insult anyone who does not conform with a little world of hatred and bile.

I hope people can tell the difference between those trying to give advice, compared to the few troubled souls who seek only to insult.

Tranona

Visit site
I mention my personal experiences, I don't say ' don't do this, do that ', nor do I seek to insult anyone who does not conform with a little world of hatred and bile.

Still not sure that anything that you may or may not have experienced 20 or 30 years ago (including sleeping in a Triumph Spitfire) has any relevance to today, nor of any use to somebody cruising the coast. Note also that Colin, who has been there in the last couple of weeks with his boat tells a very different story which is much more useful information to the OP.

You seem to have difficulty in focusing on what is relevant to the question but use it as an opportunity to go down your own memory lane.

lampshuk

Visit site
Oh, dear. It's happened again. A useful thread polluted by these two slagging each other off. Moderators, it would be a shame to get them both banned, because occasionally they say something informative. Any suggestions?

Ripster

Visit site
It's a Seajet thing, he says the same about all sorts of unlikely places. Southampton is a veritable war zone, apparently, which he wouldn't visit without a heavy machine gun (he once saw someone shove someone else in a pub here, I think :) ).

Pete

:D

Seajet

Visit site
I see no good reason for visiting Southampton Water anyway unless a big ship Captain or a protege' of ' Fight School '

Various experiences to back that up, but maybe our regular contributors from there think knuckle dusters are as standard attire as cuff links. :)

Seajet

Visit site
Colhel,

if you mean me, anywhere in the Solent is fine, at Cowes I either go to East Cowes marina or the Folly, I avoid Bucklers Hard - which is a shame but I can't stand the management ethos, and I don't bother with Yarmouth as it's probably full by the time I get there from Chichester; even in the 1980's I was sometimes met by ' Harbour Full ' signs - but of course they may have just recognised my sail number and hastily painted it !

I see no reason to visit Southampton Water, when I went to the Hamble I used to go to the Elephant Boatyard, but that was with dear departed friends so I won't be going back.

Poole is lovely, especially South Deep or going up to Wareham.

Weymouth is a fun place but awkward re tides and lobster pots in the inshore passage or badly placed for going outside the Race.

I have stayed in Lyme Regis, lovely place but it's too crowded and dodgy now to be sure of a safe spot.

Torquay is an option but is literally ' the last resort ' !

Brixham and to the west is lovely, you really should try it.