Places for winter storage in Europe.

skipmac

Winter in Florida, Summer Martha's Vineyard
Visit site
Hi All. Planning to sail US to Europe this spring. Cruising for a bit then back to the colonies for the winter. Trying to decide the best place for leaving the boat over the winter of 2020-2021. Criteria security, safety and cost. Reading recent threads about storms and seeing photos of major boat damage at different places around the Med has given me pause so thought it worthwhile to get some opinions.

Plans are totally flexible so any options are open. Had thought about SW Ireland but that's a bit far north and would have to move the boat there by September to beat the weather. Would not want to sail north and cross Biscay in Oct or later.

The other ideas are Spain and Portugal. Seems like a lot of people keep their boats in SE Spain around Almerimar, Alicante or thereabouts. How did that area do in the recent storms? How have they done historically?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

skipper021

Visit site
If England isn't too far north, I would suggest Sutton Harbour Marina in the center of Plymouth, this is a locked basin so totally secure in bad weather.
This winter there are 3 North American yachts over wintering at Sutton Harbour including the Canadian couple on Sailing Uma

Another possibility if you don't want to go to the UK is La Rochelle, the locked Bassin des Chalutiers near to the center of town, not the huge marina on the edge of town. The Bureau du Vieux Port number is: +33 6 72 79 37 8

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Nave pegos commonly known as Bruce's yard in Faro, Algarve is worth considering. Hefty steel frames supporting the boats plus 4x 50mm webbing straps, one each corner into connections set into the concrete. OK to liveaboard which can be an issue in Spain. Airport 5 minutes in an uber. Sunny nearly every day :cool:
Nave Pegos Boatyard - Nave Pegos

+1

Nave Pegos Boatyard - Nave Pegos Almost full to capacity at the moment, need to book if arriving late in the season.

Muddy32

Visit site
Go up the Rance from St Malo. Lots of places to hole up, both afloat and ashore. France understand and tend not to exploit yachtsmen.

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
Storage out of the water or in the water?

I'm overwintering in Estepona in Mediterranean Spain, 30 miles North of the Strait of Gibraltar. A safe maina in filthy weather - some marinas suffer from breakwaters that let in dreadful wave driven surges. Estepona has 24/7 security with staff checking boats daily and nightly, particularly in bad weather. Mild weather, in the winter. It has dropped at night to under 10 degrees only once so far. Mid teens to mid twenties in the day. Mooring of our 10m boat cost us £298 for February including taxes and other standing charges. This marina is a little more expensive than some in this part of Spain, Almerimar, for instance. And Portugal is said to be cheaper. But the safety, security, really great showers and toilets and beautiful town of Estepona make it worth it to us.

The recent two big weather events in southern Spain didn't cause extensive damage to boats as far south as the south facing coast - Cabo de Gata the Straits- as far as I know. There was nothing in Estepona anyway, beyond a few days of stiff winds and a lot of rain. The coast from Mar Menor northwards and the Balearic Islands took a right pasting though.

nortada

Visit site
Suggest you post in Liveaboad Link, where you should get a bigger response.

As you are leaving the boat for the winter, I would haul in Southern Europe. Probably in the Gulf of Cadiz

davidej

Visit site
A couple of years ago, we overwinter in Vannes, south Brittany. A very sheltered berth in the water in the centre of a lovely medieval town. A keenly priced winter deal. All the facilities kept open.

A capable yard down river for a lift out for antifouling ets.

GHA

Visit site
He is returning home and not staying on the boat over winter.
Rare occurrence not to have a good few days onboard after haulout/before relaunch to get sorted out. If it's a cruising boat come across the pond then there'll be a many page to do list with bits to fix. Being allowed to stay on the boat is certainly info i'd be interested in, and pretty much every cruiser I've shared happy hour with even if others aren't.
Aren't some Spanish (and other) yards picky about doing your own work on the boat as well? Bruce's is great for DIY with plenty very good back street fabricators 10 minutes away in Olhao but you need to be careful and keep the yard happy if getting people in.