Pilgrim 30

G

I've just bought what I think must be a Pilgrim 30 with twin Volvo 165's. Built by Marine Projects in 1969 with aft cockpit. Deep vee hull. Just over 30 feet long. Could she be anything else? Definitely not Project 31 or Princess 32. Anybody had any experience with these boats. Can't seem to contact Marine Projects. Thanks.

eddieperkins

Visit site
Why do you say it is definitely not a project 31?. If built by Marine projects in 1969 it alsmost certainly is. However the engines are not what I would expect. Are they 165 hp diesels or petrol engines. If the diesel they will probably be the AQAD40 or 41 and would have been fitted later, the more common volvo engine would have been the 75hp AQD21 on a 250 leg. The Project 31 was not allways fitted out the way it says in the books, I had one that was fitted out the same as the Senior 31 but it was built by marine projects as its history was well documented (Part 1 register and I was the second owner) Where is it based and what is the name??. Can you e-mail me a photo??. E-mail anyway and I can send you a picture of mine for comparison.
Regards,
Eddie

Visit site
Yes, Pilgrim did build a 30', Had a ride out of Brighton once on one with large petrols which was later based in the Medway.
Still remeber the owner passing over the folding on the fuel barge for a short burn up to Shoreham and back.
Very few of them about. Never seen one with Diesels may be yours were fitted much later.
Whats your boat called?

G

Eddie. The engines are AQ165's (Straight 6 pushrod petrols) on I think 250 legs (no badges). I'm pretty sure she is NOT a Project 31. She is called Softly Softly. I've spent the last half hour trying to find out how to get your email address to send you some pictures without any luck. I'm at islecastle2@ic24.net (Dave)

G

Thanks for info. The engines are AQ165 PETROLS and she is called Softly Softly. She is registered at London and has MMYC on the transom. Dave.

Visit site
Thats the one!
The MMYC stands for Medway Motor Yacht Club, it was a Medway Bridge Marina. Nice boat and very fast.
Have seen a couple more on the upper Thames but never with large engines.
Cheers
Mike

Tom C

Visit site
I have just found this and I can confirm Softly Softly was a Pilgrim 30 with twin Volvo Penta petrol engines as my father was the original owner and was moored at Chichester marina. Very fast and expensive to run but liked a calm sea.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I have just found this and I can confirm Softly Softly was a Pilgrim 30 with twin Volvo Penta petrol engines as my father was the original owner and was moored at Chichester marina. Very fast and expensive to run but liked a calm sea.
Wow, you might have just set a record, a 21 year old thread resurrected. And quite unusually, appropriately resurrected. How long did your father own the boat?

Tom C

Visit site
Wow, you might have just set a record, a 21 year old thread resurrected. And quite unusually, appropriately resurrected. How long did your father own the boat?
My father owned her for only a few years and then purchased a Grand Banks 36 called Tearaway 2. A completely different kind of boat

MikeWoodhouse

Visit site
We have just purchased Softly Softly this morning. She’s looking a bit tired and needs a bit of tlc to get her back to her former glory. She’s now based on the Norfolk Broads, as far as I’m aware the engines are now 2ltr Ford diesels.

Bajansailor

Visit site
We have just purchased Softly Softly this morning. She’s looking a bit tired and needs a bit of tlc to get her back to her former glory. She’s now based on the Norfolk Broads, as far as I’m aware the engines are now 2ltr Ford diesels.

Excellent news Mike!

Can you post some photos of her please?
Or maybe start a new thread to record details of her forthcoming tlc re-fit?

MikeWoodhouse

Visit site
I’ll attach a few photos from the advert, and happy to post some in progress if any folk are interested?

Attachments

• 0183462E-D916-4DEE-BE38-5EBC177CCE88.jpeg
    0183462E-D916-4DEE-BE38-5EBC177CCE88.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 7C1EE279-A65A-45D8-9161-DBCF129038F6.jpeg
    7C1EE279-A65A-45D8-9161-DBCF129038F6.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 235569B5-DD71-40FD-83DC-1494A7ABEAC3.jpeg
    235569B5-DD71-40FD-83DC-1494A7ABEAC3.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 68

Tom C

Visit site
My father was the original owner. He called her Softly Softly after the 60's bbc police drama. A lot of people said he looked like the leading actor! Looking at the photos she has been re configured. There were two seats in the cockpit and the galley was in the cabin. I will attempt to find some original photos.