Philips AP Navigator

G

HELP! Could anyone please tell me what a Philips AP Navigator is, what it does, is it useful and how I am able to get hold of the users manual? The reason being that a friend in England has purchased one for little money and is bringing it over to me in France tomorrow.

G

Throw it away! I have one but have removed it from my boat as it works on the DECCA system which was turned off last year. It is of non use to man or beast. Someone saw your friend coming. Buy a GPS.

G

Three maybe?

There is a conversion kit available to convert it into a GPS receiver - however the cost of the kit is more than a new GPS unit.

G

What a load of bollocks you experts are giving.

There is more than one MARK of AP Navigator - I have a Mk6 which is a GPS. About £800 or more when new. The latest software version being Version 16, which gives you the ability to interface with a dGPS. (Now lets hear something from the experts about dGPS!)

John, It depends on what Mk of AP Navigator it is. If it is a Mk6 or above, it is a good GPS - albeit only six channel. If you want more advice on the models/marks, contact Comar Services on 01983 282400, fax 01983 280402. Peter Cotton is the man to speak to.

It may well be an old Decca model, so speak to him first.

Good luck, Philip.

G

who said we are experts. keep your hair on and no need to be abusive. if this chaps ap is 800 quids worth of dgps i'm a dutch man.

G

Would you like four,,,I got one,, you can have it for free

G

I have a Mark 9 Philips AP Navigator which is a DGPS compatible GPS set and still very good - worth having. It did cost me £700-800 pounds a few years back.

If it is a Decca set then ditch it.

G

Thank you Des. As I was saying, not all AP Navigators were Decca as the first posters were suggesting.

Philip

G

Thanks for all your help guy I now have the thing in my hands and it is a Philips AP Navigator but I have no idea which model.Anyway I will take the adice of Philip and call his friend in England. Good sailing to everyone if anybody is in Greece this year I have French registered yacht called Butterfly, come aboard and take a look at my AP Navigater and I mead look since I think it will be just part of the furniture!!!!!!

G

John, has it got GPS or Decca on its front face? If it has a multitude of buttons on the front, is no.9 marked GPS? If so, it is a Mk6. Maybe Graeme can describe a Mk9 model. You just may have got a bargain, (with one of the best displays), or maybe not.

Anyway, if you are still not sure, and I now see you are in Greece (Piraeus?? I can taste the Ouzo?) you can e-mail Comar Services (distributors of AP Philips/Leica GPS at peter.cotton@comar.co.uk. or info@comar.co.uk

I have no connection with them, other than having my GPS upgraded to Version 16 software, but know them to be very helpful.

Good luck and good sailing, Philip