Visit site
Re: See you in court!

Kim - it's Monday!
It's not gone!

Lawyers contacted, reasonable notice provided for fix etc etc

Still, damages should pay for 2002 marina increases

G

Re: blue or white Bombay

never mind, RC is off explaining what "compare" means and ripping into me on another thread....

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Dne well for himself....

Don't agree that this implies doing well for oneself without regard for others.

I'd describe Steve Redgrave, James Dyson, Ellen MacArthur, Richard Branson, Stelios Easyjet, David Beckam, Anita Roddick, etc, etc all as having done well for themselves but would not by that imply that it was at others expense.

However, I wouldn't describe Robert Maxwell or Geoffrey Archer (in their respective primes) as havng done well for themselves.

To me 'doing well for oneself' means doing it with regards for others. It also implies a kind of 'self made' or 'come from nothing' quality.

I will however agree that some, like Stelios and Richard Branson didn't actually start with nothing. Also Branson has cheated a little on the way.

Anyway since when were you a saint? Not so long ago you were telling us about how you duped a seller into lowering his price on a Merc for your missus. Is that ethical? and whilst we're at it, surely anyone who builds a successful company (presumably like you) has done it at someone else's expense. It's always a question of where you draw the line and what you personally regard as biend acceptable. Maybe the successful businessman is just that little better at negotiating?

Finally, having red many of your post over the past year or two I suspect that you to have indeed done well for youself. Only in my way not yours.

P.S. You can leave that RichardC alone. Remeber he's not the baddy it's the bloke selling that boat that might be! For all you know he may be a thoroughly decent chap.

That's it, flaming over.

G

Re: gasps from the court

Hmm, good thinking, counsel. But if it was a white hull, would they really call it Gordon, Plymouth or Asda?

G

Re: leftie!

umm, your probly right bout lots of those things, specially the merc. Ethical tho? How "ethical" was it for those others to price high? Still think "for himself" has bad overtones.

However (jumps up on soap box) you are profoundly wrong about entrepreneurs: your text implies that anyone who makes money does so at the expense of others. Whereas in fact {cut paste Eat The Rich by PJ O'Rourke}...shows how very wrong such thinking actually is. Choose, as an example, the boating industry. People starting boat making companies offer fun products in demnd, create employment, and satisfy a need. They in turn create needs for other compnaies, also with employment, and so on. Of course, there'll be failures and deceit, personal and public amongst the buyers, the employees, the sellers and so on. An ongoing process of failure and success is inevitable, and indeed part of the mechanism: if there's only one supplier, there's no point in trying to be better, so competetion is a requirement of survival and success, improvement of the product, lowering of costs and so on. Sure, a broke suplier wil blame the new guy in town, but overall the effect is good. The alternative, where everybody continuously checks that evryone else is indeed as poor as they are, just doesn't work.

jfm

Visit site
Re: Cat picture

Is that a leopard? Looks a bit old-lady's-moggy-ish.

(Posted by a bored JFM, sitting in office on a conference call that started at 6pm zzzzzz)

G

Re: snow leopard

blimmin christmas rules innit, see? And did you send that stuff to boatone nag nag.

jfm

Visit site
Re: nagging

yes I did send it to boat one. He got it all except a couple of video files that got corrupted by some zip program that BarryD sold to me. I'll send em again if I can ever get home. Anyway, it's all under control except very late like most of my projects

BarryD

Visit site
Best Projects are always late.

Over time, over budget and under performing. Otherwise it would not be recognised as an IT product. Hope you (JFM) got home at some point in your life!

G

Re: IT Projects

Our very best product ever, although some years ago, was a simple rebadge/rename of an existing product, with different colour setting as standard. It worked superbly with zero bugs, it was delivered on time, it had very good upgradeability from the previous version, didn't need too much training, and didn't cost loads of money like those awful US ripoff merchants....

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
And to further disprove my theory.....

My ex boat, 'Golden Girl' was of course blue and was a boat, not a girl.

P.S. Don't blame me for the name I wanted 'Pussy Galore' or some other Bond type thing with lewd connotations but SWMBO had to be obeyed.

G

Re: ah

well, get somone to buy you the book for crimbo then. A good read, specially for TB's.

jfm

Visit site
JFM is blind but sees daves T36?

pete, I just looked. Yes you are right, it does certainly look blue. Apologies, I'll have humble crumble for tea and promise to get my eyes tested.

Also, on the very same page in Guernsey, was that daves's T36 with the distinctive blue strip (or did they all have blue stripes? I thort that was a daves special?)

G

Re: JFM is blind but sees daves T36?

imho, mr bat, the fat blue stripe on DS boat is a one-off.