Petrol

KDeacon62

Visit site
can anybody advise where is last outbound fuel, before heading for Ramsgate, with reasonably simple access for an 8m outboard boat?

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
There is a filling station 3-4 mins on foot from various free short-term moorings on the Surrey side of Hampton Court above and below the bridge. Beyond that you are looking at options with either increasing distance from boat to petrol station, or complications of mooring. Or both. Just upstream of Teddington Lock is a 10-15 min walk on the Surrey side to a filling station. Beyond that it's more a case of (1) what moorings are available at the tide state you have planned for and (2) how far is the nearest filling station according to Google Maps (etc.).

oldgit

Visit site
After Teddington , its a blimming long walk to any petrol station from the ATL at Queenborough, a good mile at least , (get a cab) or up to Gillingham Marina or possibly MDL Chatham.
Teaching to suck eggs etc ..................
Assume you are aware of just how difficult it is to replenish any outboard fuel tank from a can/drum in anything less than a dead calm out in the esturary ?

Last edited:

KDeacon62

Visit site
After Teddington , its a blimming long walk to any petrol station from the ATL at Queenborough, a good mile at least , (get a cab) or up to Gillingham Marina or possibly MDL Chatham.
Teaching to suck eggs etc ..................
Assume you are aware of just how difficult it is to replenish any outboard fuel tank from a can/drum in anything less than a dead calm out in the esturary ?
Yes, that was my concern, I do have tanks and they have a filler port on the deck, but even so. …….. I can make it from say St.Kats to Ramsgate on 60% of tanks, so not an issue hopefully, and I’m not in a rush at all, purposefully taking my time to allow for good weather opportunities. Many thanks.

CJL

Visit site
You need a jiggle stick!
Laser Jiggle Siphon Hose 20mm x 1.75m

Also if you are desperate for fuel there is;
  1. A pontoon there is Erith Pier and a Morrisons Petrol Filling Station very close by (180m) and the tide is right. (LINK - 51°28'52.6"N 0°11'00.7"E · Erith). You might get away mooring but I'd plan to do a quick drop off and fill up whilst the crew holds off.
  2. Royal Wharf near the Barrier there is a Shell Petrol Filling Station (600m) but you'd need to sneak around the back of the pier. (Link - 51°29'55.2"N 0°01'31.2"E · London E16 2AL) Again you might get away mooring but I'd plan to do a quick drop off and fill up whilst the crew holds off.
  3. Gravesend Sailing Club (LINK - 51°26'36.9"N 0°22'54.9"E · Gordon Promenade E, Gravesend DA12 2RR) is taxi-able to to Gravesend Asda but again this is tide dependent.
We recently did Putney to Southend two days running in a 6.4m rib and keeping the speed down really extends the range. Also we borrowed 2x 25litre deck tanks and packed the jiggle stick to give us a bit of confidence that we had plenty.

Safe trip!

CJL