Petrol resistant Glue/Adhesive

Pkewish

The off-take from my outboard petrol tank (not integrated in engine) has dropped into the tank. The fuel gauge float and arm have also fallen in. I have emptied the tank and retrieved all the bits. It would appear that the off-take tube (plastic with a filter at the bottom, was glued onto the metal elbow at the top and the float/arm/gauge part was also glued at the top. I can easily re assemble the whole lot but what should I use to glue it all together again bearing in mind that the whole lot spends most of its time immersed in petrol?

If this makes no sense at all, I will post some pics.

Ta.

Pete

PuffTheMagicDragon

Araldite (or any good thickened epoxy)? Superglue (Cyanoacrylate)? Milliput (epoxy putty)?

VicS is the expert on outboards.

VicS

The off-take from my outboard petrol tank (not integrated in engine) has dropped into the tank. The fuel gauge float and arm have also fallen in. I have emptied the tank and retrieved all the bits. It would appear that the off-take tube (plastic with a filter at the bottom, was glued onto the metal elbow at the top and the float/arm/gauge part was also glued at the top. I can easily re assemble the whole lot but what should I use to glue it all together again bearing in mind that the whole lot spends most of its time immersed in petrol?

If this makes no sense at all, I will post some pics.

Ta.

Pete

I'd secure the plastic tube to the elbow mechanically if possible. Eg with a mini hose clip

Otherwise repair the plastic bits with an epoxy adhesive. Araldite or a metal filled epoxy such as JB Weld http://www.frost.co.uk/j-b-weld-adhesive-8265.html or the putty David 2456 suggests

Alan ashore

My father used to swear by Seccotine (fish glue) for petrol applications. Of course epoxies were not readily available in those days, but.