Petition

joliette

www.facebook.com
It's not the 50% tax rate that's bothering me these days, it's the 60% rate on fuel that I pay to HMRC every time I fill up!

The economic consequences of this clearly reach much further than the deepth of one's pocket but, with petrol at 9p a litre in Tripoli maybe we should be acknowledged the possibility that Gaddafi did actually try ro get something right for Libyan people!?

With sales of new electric cars TRIPLING in the UK you may very well think that a 60% fuel tax will not be an issue for very much longer. However, with the 11 units sold last year and the 33 sold this year, I think we have some way to go ....

So, please consider signing this: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/347

We need an additional 20,000 signatures to encourage the Government to look at this issue.

lustyd

Visit site
Although I completely agree with what you say, the petition will fail. It's easy to show that people generally can afford to drive by looking at any road in the UK. There is massive daily congestion almost everywhere.

Instead, we could look at moving jobs closer to where people live. It's crazy that so many people drive an hour to work, often past people driving an hour the other way. Walking to the corner shop would also save fuel yet my corner shop rarely has a free parking space due to all the people who drive there.

Unfortunately humans are inherently lazy and if fuel was 20p/litre (which is probably all the oil company charge) we would all drive everywhere which would make people fat, cause more harm to the environment etc.

joliette

www.facebook.com
Although I completely agree with what you say, the petition will fail. It's easy to show that people generally can afford to drive by looking at any road in the UK. There is massive daily congestion almost everywhere.

Instead, we could look at moving jobs closer to where people live. It's crazy that so many people drive an hour to work, often past people driving an hour the other way. Walking to the corner shop would also save fuel yet my corner shop rarely has a free parking space due to all the people who drive there.

Unfortunately humans are inherently lazy and if fuel was 20p/litre (which is probably all the oil company charge) we would all drive everywhere which would make people fat, cause more harm to the environment etc.

I think people have to drive to work, that's why there is so much congestion, I don't think it has much to do with laziness. My last commute to work involved a ferry and a car - the only way I could travel and get there on time. It cost me £500 per month and took 3 hours of my time per day. I tried working from home, but that was ultimately prevented by narrow minded management who believed that I needed to attend their premises 5 days a week to perform my role .... In the end I decided that this was not the way I wanted to live at such a cost.

That is the reality that most people are facing, I believe. And, I am not surprised to hear that many people are now putting 10% of their income in the fuel tank.

Penton Hooker

Visit site
I understand completely that folk are worried by fuel prices. I also wonder when a plush, three story bling boat hurtles past me at thirty plus knots!

shaxi

N/A
Visit site
That is the reality that most people are facing, I believe. And, I am not surprised to hear that many people are now putting 10% of their income in the fuel tank.
you are quite right , we have to face with the problem of fuel consuming , in fact a lot people spend more on the budget of fuel , but have to save money in other fields ! that is really boring !:(
g.php

ffiill

Visit site

My problem is that when I started to drive C 1970 fuel was only 25p BUT A GALLON!
In 1981 it was about £1.60 a gallon!
As for marine(red diesel) 10 years ago it was 15 pence a litre!-its now 70p a litre bulk.

TerryW2

Visit site
European Road Fuel Duty on Boat Fuel?

Does anyone understand the current situation whereby fuel used for boating (Petrol and Deisel) is subject to EU road-fuel duty?

My limited understanding is that European Road Fuel duty (levied in the rest of Europe) is instead of road tax but we pay both taxes in the UK. To compound this when we use the fuel in a boat we are not using the roads.

I would love to see a petition that gets the government to think about the fairness of all this. My understanding (again shaky) is that the EU will not allow a country to apply two levels of taxation on the same fuel I.e. one rate (preferably zero for boats and one for cars).

ffiill

Visit site
We should have the simple system they have in NewZealand.
All diesel is sold fuel duty free-if you use it in a road vehicle you buy a mileage related fuel duty tax disc-different rates for private motorists and commercial vehicles.Duty free for boats.
If mileage on speedo has exceeded mileage on disc you get into trouble-probably only really checked when car gets wofed(warranty of fitness-MOT)