Perkins M90 41120 - big oil leak?

Tim Good

Visit site
Perkins M90 14420 - big oil leak?

I have literally just signed off in a boat with a big M90 Perkins engine. I had a machinery test / appraisal by an independent marine engineer at survey stage who gave it a clean bill of health.

However the day after I checked the oil and there was nothing on the dip stick an it took 5 litres to register!

We tested the engine for about 2 hours and the next day empty again. 4 more litres.

1. Can anyone suggest where and how this might be happening.

2. Do I have any claim against the engineer for not spotting such a leak?

3. Yes the oil goes into the bilges.

4. I haven't tracked down where it is from yet.

Last edited:

Latestarter1

Visit site
I have literally just signed off in a boat with a big M90 Perkins engine. I had a machinery test / appraisal by an independent marine engineer at survey stage who gave it a clean bill of health.

However the day after I checked the oil and there was nothing on the dip stick an it took 5 litres to register!

We tested the engine for about 2 hours and the next day empty again. 4 more litres.

1. Can anyone suggest where and how this might be happening.

2. Do I have any claim against the engineer for not spotting such a leak?

3. Yes the oil goes into the bilges.

4. I haven't tracked down where it is from yet.

I would not call a 4 cylinder Perkins 4.236 engine big.....However, cutting to the chase.

Most likely cause of leakage is rear main oil seal.

Are you certain that engine is not being overfilled, if I remember correctly your engine only has total system capacity of 8 liters adding 5 liters to register on the stick does not sound right at all.

If engine has been leaking for some time bilges would be rank which would once again point to engine being overfilled.

Last edited:

Tim Good

Visit site
I would not call a 4 cylinder Perkins 4.236 engine big.....However, cutting to the chase.

Are you certain that engine is not being overfilled, if I remember correctly your engine only has total system capacity of 8 liters adding 5 liters to register on the stick does not sound right at all.

If engine has been leaking for some time bilges would be rank which would once again point to engine being overfilled.

I know it sounds crazy but all I have to go in is the dip stick. I just added 4 litres this morning to bring it half way up the dip stick and then ran the engine for 30 mins. I checked an hour later and then nothing on the stick.

Tranona

Visit site
If it is losing oil at that rate you have a major leak and it should be obvious where it is coming from as it has to go somewhere. If it burned that amount of oil in 30 minutes you would have the fire brigade investigating the source of the smoke!

Suggest you call the engineer who did the report and ask his advice.

charles_reed

Visit site

Agree and that wouldn't have happened suddenly so the "engineer" has overlooked a major, symptom of a worn engine. I'm afraid though, you'll [probably find he has no PI insurance and going after him will be further waste of money.

robmcg

Visit site
Check that the oil filter is screwed on with the rubber seal seated correctly and tightly enough.

+1

Good place to start and the source of my slightly embarrassing oil leak on launch this year. Doh!

Otherwise rear mail oil seal as mentioned or oil cooler if you have one (had a leak from there last year but not the volumes you describe)

Tim Good

Visit site
I'm going to clean the bilges out till they're spotless and try to locate. Ill report back for the sake of the thread.