Perkins M50 fresh water pump woes - any suggestions?

Bobc

Visit site
You don't want to be using OAT in that engine. Just old fashioned Glycol.

Have you also tried running it with the coolant tank cap left off, so it can't build up any pressure? Not that will prove or disprove anything mind you.

The water pumps on these are notorious for leaking from behind the seal, but I'd be surprised if 2 new ones were both duff. I had one of these engines for about 15 years, and it got through 2 pumps in that time.

All I can suggest otherwise is that you check to see exactly where the leak is coming from, just in case it's not the seal.

Sorry I can't be of more help. These engines are getting old now and are getting increasingly difficult to find spares for.

alexincornwall

Visit site
I would question first of all why OAT was used in an old design engine which was first designed in the 80s. Next move, I would suggest changing the anti freeze and give it a good run and see if that makes any difference.

Happy to change the antifreeze but would you not consider that if the OAT was the root cause, it will have already caused irreversible damage to the pump seals?

Beneteau381

Visit site
Happy to change the antifreeze but would you not consider that if the OAT was the root cause, it will have already caused irreversible damage to the pump seals?
I dont know, but in my first post I said that out of the box thinking was needed. For what it will cost in time and materials its worth a shot imho. If the OAT has damaged the seal with some slight scratching you might get lucky and some running with glycol based AF will dress the faces. These pumps are getting harder to find. I managed to get a DAF van one which is the same, a few years ago, its in my locker waiting just in case.