Perkins 4108 oil pressure ‚jumping‘

dscha

Visit site
Hello!

Depending on the revs the oil pressure goes down to 2 bars, but only around 2100. at 1800 or 2300 it is normal at 4 bars. It also goes up to 4bsrs after the start.

So my question: does the engine have a problem, or is the sensor / gauge the issue?

Any thought are welcome :)

Thanks!
Dietmar

oldharry

Visit site
Mechanical or electric gauge? Its 25 + years since I ran a 4108, so I dont remember. Either way sounds more like a gauge problem. Electric senders can do some strange things when they go off key, or develop wiring faults/ bad connections. I would certainly start with a generic replacement gauge off Amazon/Fleabay. That would at least put your mind at rest - or otherwise!

dscha

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It‘s a vetus electrical gauge. Can i buy any old sensor? Do the all have fhe same pressure/resistance curve? Also i can‘r find what thread the sensor needs to have. Any advise is welcome.

Slipstream 34

Visit site
Check the spade connectors on the sender. They can vibrate lose causing your symptoms. Remove the connectors and gently squeeze with a pair of pliers. That should clear the symptoms.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Thanks for the reply. It‘s a vetus electrical gauge. Can i buy any old sensor? Do the all have fhe same pressure/resistance curve? Also i can‘r find what thread the sensor needs to have. Any advise is welcome.
Thread is 1/8"NPT, there are a few possible port positions
Here both electric, on filter head and engine block
5de18c1839819f37768aa929.jpg

Here both on engine block, one electric (green) and one mechanical (red circle) a hose to a gauge

6238546239819f248a0c0499.jpg