Penny for your thoughts?

TFM

Visit site
Thinking of relocating mobo from Swansea to Cardiff and wondered if anyone could give some constructive feedback on the pros and cons of Yacht Clubs v Marinas available in the bay?

Appreciate this may only appeal to a few here; however, all comments will be appreciated.

graham

Visit site
Either of the Marinas will do what marinas usually do , The 2 clubs are Cardiff Bay Yacht Club and Cardiff Yacht Club.

Cardiff bay Yacht Club has a better pontoon system than CYC Cardiff Yacht Club has more space ashore and lots of fore and aft moorings in the Bay as well as pontoons.

I would suggest coming up for a weekend and spending a bit of time at both clubs , see which feels right for you. I think both clubs have a size limit for boats, not sure what the limits are.

TFM

Visit site
Thanks Guys.

I must admit I have been thinking more along the lines of either CYC & CBYC. With a young family the facilities and atmosphere of a club appeals.

Currently on a pontoon so would be looking for the same with L hook up preferred. I will contact both in the morning and make some enquiries re availability and entry requirements - if they'll have me.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
tHINK CBYC WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET. i THINK ITS 41 QUID OR SO PER FOOT PER ANNUM IF YOU WANT LECKY PoNTOON.Sorry caps lock on!!

Visit site
Thinking of relocating mobo from Swansea to Cardiff and wondered if anyone could give some constructive feedback on the pros and cons of Yacht Clubs v Marinas available in the bay?

Appreciate this may only appeal to a few here; however, all comments will be appreciated.

I will freely admit to being biased - I can never understand why people consider a marine boat park when they can join a club. Clubs are far more sociable, often have joint activities ( cruises in company, fishing competitions, races for the raggies) not to mention everything from RYA courses to club boat jumbles and evening talks in the winter.

There are three marinas in the bay, one of which is a club marina at CBYC. In addition CYC have pontoons of a sort. CYC is the smallest of the two clubs and also the cheapest. Personally I dont like the pontoon construction ( interlocking floating plastic octagons) or the mooring system which is bows to the pontoon, stern out to a buoy and climb over the bow rail onto the pontoon to get on / off. But they are a good and friendly club.

CBYC is a 1000 member club with a full service conventional marina set up. It has a lot of mobos and has all the facilities you would expect from diesel to boat lifts to boat cradles. Has a problem with car parking at times and can be a bit anonymous because of size. Big fishing / mobo section if you like that sort of thing. Again pretty friendly but tends because of size to divide into groups - raggie racers, raggie cruisers, fishermen, mobo cruisers, dinghy types

Cardiff Marine is the new boy on the block. A full service marina with dry stack as well. Nice people to deal with in my experience and a good boat yard for repairs.

Penarth marina is a typical commercial marina with all the facilities you would expect.

I'm a member of CBYC and wouldnt go anywhere else. As I said at the start, I'm biased. Best thing you can do is to come down and have a wander round all 4.

Coaster

Visit site
...I can never understand why people consider a marine boat park when they can join a club...

There are two answers. First, many locations don't have clubs like CBYC. Second, some people are not interested in club activities. Both apply to us. Our only sensible option is a marina, if our boat is to remain in Pembrokeshire.

For those of you living near your boats there are lots of options, including swinging moorings. But if you lived many miles away you might see things differently.

Visit site
As you say you arent interested in clubs. I guess I'm just one of nature's "joiners" - member of three yacht clubs already and thinking of joining another when I take my boat to the south coast for the summer. And then of course there are the car clubs. And the gym. And ............ :)