Pela oil extractor- crap?

tom52

Visit site
For the last two seasons I have tried to suck out my old oil using the Pela oil extractor.The small version with the globe bowl.
Followed the instructions ran the engine 'till oil warm. Tube down dipstick hole, twenty pumps.etc.
Absolutely useless. Wait two minutes about 1/4 cup of oil another twenty pumps another 1/4 cupful and so on.
Is it just me , I am doing something wrong or is it just a crap piece of kit?

<hr width=100% size=1>

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
I don´t have thje Pela oil extractor but an American one based on the same vacuum principle. It´s very important that the rubber ring gaskets be correctly positioned so that there is no air leak from the outside. I suggest you check that by pumping the air out and letting it rest fopr a few hours with the inlet tube closed top see whether there is any leak
jphn

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
Try checking the inlet tube for blockages. I've got one & it is superb but I was using is to drain out a particularly inaccessible piece of bilge when the tube blocked with a piece of detritus. The flow was dramatically reduced requiring careful cleaning.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
i bought one in sbs from compass, its magnificent! but i didnt use the bit of push bike brake cabling hose that comes glued to the plastic tube that you push down the dipstic, my vp2030 has a dedicated tube that the clear plastic hose fits over and 3 mins later job done, have also used it today to clean the fuel tank out, put the brake cable hose on, took off the fuel guage sender unit put a torch on the side so that it shone thru the walls of the tank (its a plastic translucent tank)and then pumped a bit of suction in, was then able to chase all the bits of crud and globules of condensation out of the tank. also when i change the fuel filter i find the lift pump is pathetic, so i used the suction to suck the fuel thro the filter.
all in all well pleased with it, but can only speak as i find, worth checking the brake cable bit to see if its blocked
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk

ditchcrawler

Visit site
Mine works fine as well.I understand after getting the oil really warm,you leave it to settle for a few minutes before extracting.I had a piece of the black wire gunged up & I cut it off.Luckily it was at the end.I also used a constrictor knot round the join between the clear plastic & the black wire.

<hr width=100% size=1>

EdEssery

Visit site
Fantastic piece of kit.

Warm the engine, stop it, wait a few minutes for oil to drain into sump. Insert the tube from the Pela as far as it will go down the dipstick hole, pump the Pela and wait - have a cup of tea - first time I did it we were too impatient. It's bringing the oil through pipe with a tiny bore.

The Pela saved my bacon when one of my crew topped the diesel tank up with water! I don't have a drain tap on the tank and didn't want to drain it through the water separator fuel filter. The guilty party used the Pela (filling it 10 times) to drain the tank - I made the tea for him!

I keep it on board on the basis I never know when it might come in handy...

<hr width=100% size=1>

pheran

Visit site
I have the upright Pela and am very pleased with it. Agreed, its a bit slow but WTH, just pour yourself another cup/glass and take it easy/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>A convert to steel boats and displacement cruising - the only way to go</font color=blue>

rex

Visit site
You describe yours as an upright Pela. Are there different models and are the Pela better than other makes or are they all much the same? There seem to be a lot of happy users so I think I need to get one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pheran

Visit site
Yes, two models as far as I am aware, the globe type referred to in this thread and the upright cylindrical type. Both roughly the same capacity but for reasons I don't quite understand, the upright model can cost anything up to twice the price of the globe. I bought the upright type a) after reading a debate on ybw suggesting it was more effective than the globe b) spotting it on offer which closed the price difference quite considerably. Well you would, wouldn't you!

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>A convert to steel boats and displacement cruising - the only way to go</font color=blue>

Visit site
Mine... crap? no

I have the 4 litre one and it works fine. I also use it for sucking up water from the inaccessible bottoms of lockers.

As others have said you must be doing something wrong. I suspect a dicky seal somewhere.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

chriscallender

Visit site
Sounds to me like yours has an air leak somewhere and is loosing its vacuum. Block off the inlet tube, pump it 20 times, leave it for a couple of minutes, and then see if there is still a vacuum.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

tom52

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
I shall persist and try and find out why mine is useless.

<hr width=100% size=1>