PC Plotter

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
Having given up with navionics on the new windows 8 laptop, have been looking around for alternatives. Some say pc plotter is ok, but I must say the website & ordering process is very amateur & makes me think the whole thing has been developed by amateurs. Website etc. is visually poor & very clunky, demo looks a little better, but still clunky, anyone got any views ?

Hurricane

Visit site
As many on here will know, I'm a great believer in OpenCPN
I feed it to all my on board plotters/monitors using a simple Windows 7 PC.
OpenCPN runs on most major platforms (Linux, Apple Mac, Windows etc...).
Current development is for the Android - already at Beta test and could be used in anger already.

Now - this IS software that is developed by amateurs.
But these amateurs are from the boating world.
Open source software so it is free to use.
All you need is the charts.
Actually, I scan my own charts but there are professional services available as well.
All the usual ships interfaces are covered - AIS - Auto Plotter and even Radar interfaces available.
It also supports "addons" - Instrumentation and weather etc.

Give it a try.
Its free.

Have a look at www.opencpn.org
PM me if you need help with the charts.

Hurricane

Visit site
The OpenCpn chart format is CM93. Seach for that and you'll see various offerings.

Thats only one of the chart formats.
The software reads and uses lots of different formats - BSB (.kap) file formats for example.
Also commercially available are the S57 and S63 charts.
"Quote from the OpenCPN website"

These, S57 and S63 charts, are the current state of the art charts. The quality of the charts are the best vector charts available. They are always kept up to date. No other vector chart are in the same league.