PC navigation software compatible with Garmin

andrewmarais

Visit site
I have an old Garmin GPSMAP 172C which uses standard bluechart software on Garmin data cards. I have purchased some extra sea areas on CD which can then be viewed using either Mapsource (old) or Homeport (new) software from Garmin and downloaded to the data cards for use in the Chartplotter.
The Mapsource and Homeport software allows you to download and upload Waypoints, Tracks and Routes to/from the Garmin device but does not show you your current position from the GPS device.

I am interested in creating a backup system on my PC that can be used if the Garmin unit fails.

I know how to connect the output from my Garmin GPS 128 device to the serial port of my PC but would like to know if anyone can suggest any PC software that would be able to import the Garmin Bluechart charts or provide some sort of basic chart for use as backup.

Cappen Boidseye

Visit site
Once I found out that Seapro Lite and a full set of UK charts came to less than £100 I bought it. The Garmin could act as a GPS locator for Seapro to plot, you can also route plan and do other clever stuff.
If you are a gadget freak with an Iphone or Ipaddy thing then there is a great app with full UK & Ireland charting which uses the device's GPS and costs slightly more than £12, not bad for a programme which also updates the charts annualy. (Called Watermap I think).
However, do not fall in the water with an Iphone in your pocket. The replacement Iphone 4 cost me dear! Also phoning for help doesn't work with a phone full of seawater!