PC Based Navigation

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Toying with the idea of setting this up on a laptop PC, what experience have people had with this method. Can you recommend a suitable software package. Had a look on GPS warehouse etc and there is lots about.

I’ve seen you can get a GPS antenna kit for the PC but think a dedicated handheld GPS linked up would be better – in case the PC packs up.

As always any comments greatly received

Peter

trev

Visit site
I'm a bit of a dinosaur and can't see the advantage of using a PC to navigate - but I'm willing to be enlightened.
Personally I can't see how I could operate a computer while bumping along at twenty knots or so. I get along with the mark 1 eyeball, a compass, GPS, radar and a chart - what more could a man want?

Trev

claymore

Visit site
try Dolphin Maritime Software in Lancaster. They havce a website and its a good user friendly programme.
Mine runs from my laptop via an nmea cable to a Raytheon GPS unit. Really good reliable system which I use all the time.

zefender

Visit site
I use Tsunamis. The new version is called Navigator I think, for which I've just installed the upgrade. Great for 'how many miles to/ETA' stuff and shows a 'you are here' icon on the chart. Interfaces with much ofl the other gear on the boat. New version allows you to send a request for a weather map to be e-mailed back and overlayed on the chart too. Not instead of the paper chart I know but v. useful IMHO. No I don't work for them.

Supplier is Transas - not sure of the URL

tcm

Visit site
yes ditto - gps is perfect example of computers doing what they should be doing - being something imho. In the twenties, u cd buy an electric motor. Posh people haddem inthe basement or outhouse and could attach things to them to make them do things like um sharpening and suchlike. Modern PC will surely have a bad time on a powerboat. Better with a yot so can nip downstairs, but the salt will gettem.

stewart

Visit site
big advantage is to be able to plan routes and do other more interesting stuff when you know you really should be working.....

G

Re: PGd try this

I used Tsunamis99 all last year to great effect, I run the Laptop off the inverter, interfaced with a
Garmin XL handheld in com1, the Garmin plugged into the fag lighter12v using a split lead which Garmin
produce, one the the 12v one to com1.
The Garmin is then plugged into a GPS "mouse" aerial on the radar arch which boasted the signal cos
the Garmin is inside.

The charts are digital reproductions (vector) of RA charts, with plenty of detail and familiar colours,
they can be zoomed in and out quickly with no loss of clarity.

I too have just bought the upgrade called "Navigator" but beware it is sensitive to PC requirements, i.e.
it wants a P111 450 or more 128 ram 1 gb HD, 1024 resolution and will not work on WinMe.

You can phone for more charts whereever you are and they give you the permit codes to release them
from your CD.

I have never had any probs with the security of the PC even in big seas, but could be a problem on a
raggie yacht at extreme angles etc.

cneighbour

MapisM

Visit site
I have also been toying with the same idea, and spent some time looking at the many SWs available...
...with the final opinion that they are still expensive in comparizon with the real added value (assuming that you already have a GPS/chartplotter, and that you are not interested in the additional functionalities available - i.e. engines tracking, log book, alarms, camera for engine room monitoring, etc.).
Anyhow, a good site to have a look at is www.capjack.com: there are different tools listed, with prices (USD) and some interesting comparizon tables.
Last but not least: looking at your picture, I guess you have an open boat. If so, my recommendation for a notebook navigation system is, without any doubts:
forget it!

zefender

Visit site
Re: PGd try this

Agreed about the system requirement of the Tsunamis upgrade - although I didn't get caught on the processor speed, I did on the screen res. The laptop can only get that res by creating a huge screen, meaning I have to move about from one end of the chart to the other to bring in into view, if you get my drift. Current laptop may become a 'reserve' and I'll need to offer a reason to my IT dept that I need a supadoopa new one!

I use mine on my rag-driven job. As long as it is secured reasonably, it's perfectly OK. I suspect the bashing of a powerboat might be more punishing.

c_j

Visit site
Securing the lappie

Saw a neat holder for the laptop at SBS. Had four sucker type feet, you know like the ones on the ends of arrows in kiddies bow and arrow sets. The frame was then dampened (by springs I think) and the Laptop was then secured to frame.

Wish I had bought one now. Any one else seen these and know where to get?

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

claymore

Visit site
Re: Securing the lappie

That sounds a good idea - I wonder if the suction pads might dry out in the heat of a wheel house?
I use a thick piece of shock cord which lies across the hinges of the laptop and also have it sat on a non slip mat. works ok
There have been several threads before on the issue of PC's and navigation - just to say I really enjoy using mine and would only ever use paper charts if the laptop conked.
regards
John S

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Securing the lappie

I made mine, with timber, slanting top, so the printer (BJC 85) would sit half under it, egg box type rubber sponge on top, the laptop sits in this, and doesn't slip(yet) works a treat. If it tends to slip about, I'm going to put it on scoot guard and put some fiddles around it. The shock cord over the hinge area sounds a good idea aswell, may incorporate that aswell. the feet have scoot guard glued on! There are many ways to skin a dog, but a fertile mind will design one just for you! You!!!