PBO Team Tested- VHF + PC Charts

colin_jones

Visit site
PBO TEAM TESTED

The aim of this series is to ask a team of ordinary boat owners, possibly thinking of spending their own cash, to examine a product range at leisure and under no sales or time pressure, then to talk about their findings in a practical, factual fashion -rather than “Wow it’s novel” or “ I paid a lot of money for it, so will not admit its shortcomings” It happens.

A couple of weeks back we had a team of 10 look at new VHF radio rigs from ICOM, Raymarine, Silva, Simrad, NASA. We invited other manufacturers to the scrutiny, but they did not want to play. (honi soit qui mal y pense) The team findings will be in PBO July.

This week end, we are spending a day scrutinising 10 PC chart plotting systems for PBO August issue and have a couple of users of this forum in the squad.

It would be interesting to widen our team, but there are physical problems with this so, if any Reader to Reader contributor has any experience of the two product ranges above and would like to “chuck in their tuppence worth”, we should be pleased to receive their observations – either here or, better, as a private (non libellous) message.

From the sessions, we always have too much material to quote verbatim, but extra practical observations are always of interest and serve as guidance to would-be purchasers/users. These commentsd will not be published without permission. We have enjoyed the Team Tests already ‘in the can’ and I am sure that some of you will enjoy contributing, albeit at a distance, to the above.

Thanks and all best wishes for a super season – when we might meet up with some of the Liveaboards Diary readers in South Brittany.

ponapay

Visit site
I would be happy to discuss SEAPRO 2000, I have used it for 4 years now and have come across most problems and most benefits - the latter greatly out weigh the former.

I use it basically for planning, charting and logging. I do not need any of the fancy racing or weather bits, but the latter are good.

Ian
ponapay@aol.com