Patio Magic et al

neil1967

Visit site
Quite a few folks use patio magic or similar to clean teak decks, sprayhoods, etc. What dilution do you use - the recommended dilution on the container for killing moss on patios or something else?

Visit site
does it work on fabric without damaging / staining? There is some stuff called "Wet and Forget" sold on ebay and which I was told works OK but its expensive at £35 or so.

oldgit

Visit site
I use as stated on the container, works very well
+1 Only ever used it on glassfibre. Applied and left for rain to wash off.completely eradicated loads of tiny black spots .
Buy decent sized quantitiy. Either Wickes or B & Q was cheapest for 5L, about a tenner ?

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Quite a few folks use patio magic or similar to clean teak decks, sprayhoods, etc. What dilution do you use - the recommended dilution on the container for killing moss on patios or something else?

Dilute 4:1 or even for light fouling at 9:1

(Not now in fact licensed in the UK for killing moss so you'll not find moss mentioned on current labels ... same stuff though and still just as effective)

For teak decks consider using Boracol 5RH ( 10 RH if you can get it) as it also contains sodium octaborate which is an effective wood preservative. Recommended I believe by the builder of certain expensive Scandinavian yachts

does it work on fabric without damaging / staining? There is some stuff called "Wet and Forget" sold on ebay and which I was told works OK but its expensive at £35 or so.

Yes I use it, probably at something like the higher dilution, for shower curtains. Just a very light regular spray keeps them mould free. Also a quick whizz around window frames where condensation tends to lead to mould and mildew growing.

Last edited:

maby

Visit site
Patio Magic and Boracol are both fine on fabric and will remove a lot of mildew staining.

Do remember that, while it is not dangerous to humans, it is quite toxic to marine life until it has dried and weathered. Don't apply it if rain is anticipated in the near future and don't rush to wash the boat afterwards. While it is not Sarin-toxic to humans, it can irritate the skin, so avoid long term contact with it. The first time I used it, I made the mistake of kneeling on the treated wood before it dried and did not immediately change my trousers - the skin on my knee was quite red for several days after that.

Skylark

Visit site
I always enjoy reading these threads, especially as a teak deck owner.

I tend to use B&Q or Homebase deck cleaner for a about £10 for 5 litres. A quick scrub down at the beginning and end of the season with an about 10:1 dilution keeps mould at bay and the teak looking fairly bright.

Other people have recommended Wet & Forget and it costs around £35 for the same quantity.

Now a learned member is suggesting Boracol RH10 which seems to cost around £70 for the same 5 litre quantity.

Serious question (I bought a new boat and have every intention of keeping her long term) why should I pay for the more expensive potion?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Active ingredient in Wet and Forget is 9.9% N-Dodecyl/tetradecyl-N,dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride.
Patio Magic has <10% Benzalkonium chloride so could be weaker (datasheet only says less than 10%) but I think it is actually 7.5% strength.

I'd stick with Patio Magic as both products are based on similar, if not identical (PM didn't quote chain length), quaternary ammonium salts and should perform in a similar manner. I don't see any particular advantage in paying a lot more for Wet and Forget.

N.B. It isn't always as simple as just looking at the active agent. There are stabilisers, wetting agents and other "synergistic" ingredients to name a few things. However, I think that the main difference here is in the active ingredients (similar, related compounds).

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
I always enjoy reading these threads, especially as a teak deck owner.

I tend to use B&Q or Homebase deck cleaner for a about £10 for 5 litres. A quick scrub down at the beginning and end of the season with an about 10:1 dilution keeps mould at bay and the teak looking fairly bright.

Other people have recommended Wet & Forget and it costs around £35 for the same quantity.

Now a learned member is suggesting Boracol RH10 which seems to cost around £70 for the same 5 litre quantity.

Serious question (I bought a new boat and have every intention of keeping her long term) why should I pay for the more expensive potion?

A SCRUB down of a teak deck. NOOOOOOOO!

I thought the important thing with teak deck for longevity is never to scrub (or worse pressure hose). We apply the Patio Magic with a soft paint brush (using plastic gloves and wearing the old wellies, not the Dubarrys) and walk way.

pvb

Visit site

Boracol 10RH is getting difficult to buy, but is £42 for 5 litres from ACS. Boracol 5RH is easy to find, and is cheaper. Boracol is recommended by builders such as Hallberg-Rassy and X-Yachts because it contains disodium octaborate as well as benzalkonium chloride. Together, they give a powerful algaecidal and fungicidal effect. The fungicidal aspect is important; most of the "dirt" people see on their teak is in fact mould. Ordinary decking cleaning products may contain benzalkonium chloride (Patio Magic does) or may not. If you want your teak deck to last, don't ever scrub it - use a sponge when cleaning.

PlankWalker

Visit site
I use Patio Magic 4:1 brushed on teak decks from a bucket with a cut down soft broom, and painted on canvas with 3" paint brush.
It's best applied when everything is dry and forecast to remain so for 24 hours, then wait for heavy rain or hose down after a week.
It realy is very effective and takes little time to apply, best done twice a year.
I gave up using a spray on the canvas some time ogo after I found breathing in the airborne spray unpleasant.

Plank

maby

Visit site
it does not stain but, given its toxicity to marine life, you really should not be "sloshing it around" on any colour hull - use it in a more controlled manner. I would only use it on wood and fabric - GRP should clean up perfectly well with mild detergents and polishes.

sailor211

Visit site

Used wet and forget, it is good apply and leave over a few weeks mould and staining disappears. Environmentally friendly, long lasting. Used by sa laundry to get off stubborn stains so safe on canvas

Hydrozoan

Visit site
it does not stain but, given its toxicity to marine life, you really should not be "sloshing it around" on any colour hull - use it in a more controlled manner. I would only use it on wood and fabric - GRP should clean up perfectly well with mild detergents and polishes.

+1

richardbrennan

Visit site
Forgive me for my use of loose language, I'll not be sloshing it around. I intend to use it on my current sprayhood, I have a new one that's waiting to be fitted, but intend to use the old one for the remainder of the winter and probably, assuming the stitching holds up, for future winters as well. It could certainly do with a bit of a spruce up, it's a natural canvas colour and quite green in places. However, knowing my luck, I will get the inevitable run.

sailorman

Visit site
+1 Only ever used it on glassfibre. Applied and left for rain to wash off.completely eradicated loads of tiny black spots .
Buy decent sized quantitiy. Either Wickes or B & Q was cheapest for 5L, about a tenner ?

PM & MMC can be diluted > x 9
mmc for £20 per 5lts then > x9 is a bargain. best done when the weather is hot & dry

sailorman

Visit site
Forgive me for my use of loose language, I'll not be sloshing it around. I intend to use it on my current sprayhood, I have a new one that's waiting to be fitted, but intend to use the old one for the remainder of the winter and probably, assuming the stitching holds up, for future winters as well. It could certainly do with a bit of a spruce up, it's a natural canvas colour and quite green in places. However, knowing my luck, I will get the inevitable run.

A garden spray is ideal.
Oh no you cant pollute the sea or it might damange the A/F on those large Container Ships & that would never ever do :sleeping: