Passarelle outside the med?

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have a passarelle and intend to use it in the med, but is it on any use anywhere else? I am just thinking that if we decide to head across the pond and beyond is there any point in taking it with us?

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
We carried our boarding plank from Greece as far as Ecuador before giving it away. Other than in a couple of boatyards as a hop-up and a half-dozen times as a fender board we perhaps used it as intended on three or four occasions and could've lived without it if needs be, so on reflection, not worth its space/weight.

capnsensible

Visit site
Very useful in some of the Windies marinas. I've used one in places like Jolly Harbour, Antigua and Rodney Bay, St Lucia as two examples.

balder

Visit site
We have had an hydraulic passerelle on our precedent trawler. We had issues and failure. This italian equipment was rusting very quickly and the actuator leaking. On our current trawler, planning to "avoid" Med, we had nothing installed on the swimplatform.
It was a mistake. We are not on the Intracoastal in US waters!
So, I decided to imagine a special folding gangway which can be used as a ladder at anchor. We did it in Las Palmas because in this marina, you are stern berthed. Not a pleasure for us, two aboard with a wide body design, more or less 60 years old, 60 metric Tons , 60' over all! Sunny Yacht Services, very efficient and professional, did a very elegant welding work following my drawing.
Infortunately I cannot load the pictures, files on PM!

jdc

Visit site
Pretty essential in the Canaries where there is often (about 50%) stern-to, Mediterranean style, berthing, and also in Cape Verde. In some marinas in Brazil it's also stern-to berthing so to carry something which can serve as a paserelle is sensible. I don't recall using it in the Caribbean.

We carry a fender board plus a pair of big castors on a beam which can be bolted to the fender board when a paserelle is required. The fender board has been required at some time, albeit infrequently, just about everywhere we've been so I wouldn't be without it.

Last edited: