Parkstone Bay 21 cruisers

Speedbird

Visit site
I have recently acquired a Parkstone Bay 21, apparently the 'Seafisher' version with 2 cabin windows. The boat arrived with a poorly Mercedes 636 engine, which after much deliberation is being replaced by a 30HP Beta.
I wonder if any other owners know of the history of this rather nice design of boat. My hull is 389 and called 'Frances' and apparently hails from Dartmouth. I understand that Parkstone used a Mitchell hull and that they were used as police launches on occasions. Apart from that my knowledge is limited. I'm currently in the process of stripping years of varnish and paint away, bilge painting and generally refurbishing seacocks and steering gear! Any information would be appreciated and also details of any owners clubs etc..

smee

Visit site
As I recall they were built in/by Mitchell's Boatyard on Parkstone Bay (Hence the name) in Poole. There were a few variants, from a sort of open with fisherman type wheelhouse to varying size of cabins, 1 to 2 side windows as I recall - I used to work in brokerage in Mitchells Boatyard in the 90's and we had a number pass through our hands and a friend had one. I saw mostly the 1 side window variety with a slighter larger cockpit, the 2 side window variety had a larger cabin. They also built some 27's - Wood and a more modern GRP one. There is a boat called a Mitchell (31 I think) but I do not believe they are related.

thejonesey

Visit site
Our family had a Parkstone Bay when I was a kid. Great boat and used for many a day trip. It had a wonderful rolling action that we all loved.. Not seasick making. We took it from Poole to Yarmouth a couple of times... Very capable but slow. Enjoy her, I am jealous.

Tranona

Visit site
The Parkstone Bay 21 is still very popular in Poole, where, as noted it was built as a stock design by FC Mitchell and sons. No connection with the Mitchell 31.

The yard was also well known in the 50s and 60s for custom building yachts and motor sailors, often designed by Fred Parker who lived close by. Later they moved into building GRP yachts, particularly the Barbary 33 ketch (a Parker deisgn) and the John Rock designed Tradewinds.

Yard is still in existence, but as far as I know no boat building. I used to keep my boat on their moorings in the 80's including dragging ashore in the infamous 87 storm.

Visit site
The Parkstone Bay 21 is still very popular in Poole, where, as noted it was built as a stock design by FC Mitchell and sons. No connection with the Mitchell 31.

The yard was also well known in the 50s and 60s for custom building yachts and motor sailors, often designed by Fred Parker who lived close by. Later they moved into building GRP yachts, particularly the Barbary 33 ketch (a Parker deisgn) and the John Rock designed Tradewinds.

Yard is still in existence, but as far as I know no boat building. I used to keep my boat on their moorings in the 80's including dragging ashore in the infamous 87 storm.

No longer called Mitchells Boat Yard, now Parkstone Bay Marina.

I work for Parkstone Bay Yachts at the marina and still see a few Parkstone Bays today.

stushearing

Visit site
just bought "english rose" a 1978 parkstone bay 21

Hi all. I appreciate that this is an old post, but hope you are all still checking the site.

I am a novice that has just bought a Parkstone Bay 21 built in 1978 with the Mercedes 42hp engine. She is from Harry and Margaret for those familiar with LakeYard. Top people.

I would love to see some interior shots from current owners as inspiration for her overhaul. Want to keep it fairly traditional but add some comfort and aesthetics.

Also would appreciate some knowledge on part suppliers and local experts if possible.

All the best.

Stu

I have recently acquired a Parkstone Bay 21, apparently the 'Seafisher' version with 2 cabin windows. The boat arrived with a poorly Mercedes 636 engine, which after much deliberation is being replaced by a 30HP Beta.
I wonder if any other owners know of the history of this rather nice design of boat. My hull is 389 and called 'Frances' and apparently hails from Dartmouth. I understand that Parkstone used a Mitchell hull and that they were used as police launches on occasions. Apart from that my knowledge is limited. I'm currently in the process of stripping years of varnish and paint away, bilge painting and generally refurbishing seacocks and steering gear! Any information would be appreciated and also details of any owners clubs etc..