Panic bag contents

aod

Visit site
And after reading these posts don't forget the kitchen sink!

Mine has an EPIRB, hand held GPS, hand held VHF, basic first aid kit including Stugeron, crap but uv protective sunglasses, waterproof sunscreen (used as skin protector against salt water) plastic sun reflector a space blanket and important documentation.

I don't aim to be out there 76 days and I certainly wouldn't have a bloody spear gun in a liferaft.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
Surely best contents depend on where you're going - original question said blue water to NZ - completely different from coastal sailing in Europe?!

Two things more:

a) have two bags. One is the immediate stuff you have every day near/in our tender etc and for coastal cruising. The other is for serious passage making and contains the spear gun, spare specs etc and is for when your boat is holed by a whale 2000 miles from land! But then you're not lugging the big one about in day/short pasage sailing.

b) we are researching a hard dinghy to promote active self-rescue - trying to get test sails on Swifgigs, Fatty Knees etc, and look at how they are to haul on/off deck. Steve Callahan says that his experience would have been immeasurably easier (and a lot shorter) if he had been able to sail rather than drift. That's obviously true for the Baileys as well, and they had both their life raft and their inflatable dinghy. Both of them also say that some of the worst pain came from sharks bumping their bony bottoms through the inflatable base of the raft - and a hard dinghy would at least stop that frightening indignity.

Of course you never hope to use most of this - but you might have fun ith the spear gun in anchorages, spare specs are always useful, the solar still stops the need for an expensive and power hungry water maker ....

Good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah&Pip

TheBoatman

Visit site
Reading glasses, special medications, fishing line(s), lure(s). Sun block. Lip salve.
If you are going to get your liferaft serviced before you go you can ask the agent to "pack" items inside the raft i.e reading glasses, sun block, etc. Then you don't have to worry about them in the grab bag, which for bluewater stuff can be very extensive. Hopefully if you grab the EPIRB and batteries you shouldn't be out there to long.
best of luck with your adventures.
Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I have to say that in preference to a rigid dinghy I'd prefer something more akin to a Tinker - we've got the Folding Rib - and it rows far better than an all rubber dinghy, and sails passably well - particularly if you were headed downwind.

I dont view it as a liferaft (and havent got the CO2 kit, or canopy), but if it's rough enough to justify taking to a raft I wouldnt give much for my chances of launching and keeping a solid dinghy afloat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

wpsalm

Visit site
Re: Speargun

not joking thats my opinion think a long ocean voyage can be a pleasure or a chalenge depending on what you need in your life how you look at it ...some people need a chalenge some people want to watch horror movies let em as for me a long ocean voyage is a pleasure .

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrianJ

Visit site
Chris
You cannot say your sailing to NZ ,what you mean to say was your sailing to OZ via NZ !!!!!!
Now here is a list for you to look at.. also remember we all use TONS of pink zink for the nose etc.. and NO I wouldn't take a spear gun into a raft.
Brian

Grab Bag

1 Thermal blankets
2 Air mattress (self inflating)
3 Wool and rubber gloves
4 Hats
5 First aid kit….bandages, seasickness pills , pain killers, antibiotics, sun screen Splints petroleum jelly.
6 Repair kit for raft, needles and twine for sewing sails, duct tape, lashing lines
7 Knife, multi tool(Swiss army ) hacksaw blades
8 Small square of timber(cutting up fish), sponges, plastic bags,
9 Lights, flashing strobe.
10 Photo copies of ships documents, all passports and visas etc
11 Epirb.
!2 hand held VHF
13 flashlights
14 whistles
15 mirror
16 dye markers
17 fishing lines and hooks
18 sun block
19 Flares
20 Mirror
21 Duct tape
22 Spare line for lashing
23 Sponges
24 Plastic bags
25 Flares
26 Compass
27 Sea anchor
28 Watermaker
29 Water in bottles
30 Chemical heat packs (to keep warm )
31 Survival food (including biscuits ), vitamins dried fruit,

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Seriously though

If SWMBO is on the pill then spares as coming off them is apparently unpleasant in a confined space - so said some doctor;

Enema as the body can take in moisture in more ways than one..

Something to deal with salt water boils.

Something to tie everything else to the raft with for when it overturns.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>