Painting Interlux toplac or brightside, & Hi

jolojolo

Visit site
HI, new here so pleased to meet you all.

Going to paint topsides of 33ft yacht

Toplac seems to have longer lasting shine & premium product

Brightside,slightly harder wearing & more moisture resistant

Thinners, No1 or brushing thinners333

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, hope I can contribute to your forum in the future

fluffc

Visit site
Hi Jjohn,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Toplac and Brightside are both white spirits based paint, so you can use White Spirits to clean brushes with.

The Thinners No1 is as far as I'm aware a better grade of white spirits, so should be used if you are wanting to thin the paint for any reason. Other than that use bog standard white spirits.

Both broducts give a smooth gloss finish, although fine brush marks remain immediately after painting which then disappear.

Mudplugger

Visit site
Have not used Brightside, but am enthusiastic user of Toplac, does everything it say's on the tin! if put on with a decent brush and laid off with a large Jenny brush (chunk of shaped Foam with a handle) you will reduce the likelyhood of any brushmarks! HTH

FullCircle

Visit site
I use Brightside slappped on the dinghy which is hauled up and down the slip. Tough, and forms good bond to gelcoat without the apparent need for special prep....

JimC

Visit site
Both paints are good. Toplac is glossy and goes on easily but is rather soft and easily rubbed off. Brightside is tougher but not so glossy. When I next repaint the topsides of my aluminium boat I shall use Brightside.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Just done a boat in Brightside. If using a primer coat flat it down before glossing with wet'n'dry.
I did lay off with a brush at first but I found the brush marks unavoidable. I moved on to using a small foam gloss roller (for primer and topcoat) and gently laid off with the exhausted roller before recharging it for the next bit.
Oh yes, I used thinners No 1 to thin it 5%. When laying off do not go back to bits that have already started to flash off "just to be sure" as the paint won't flow. If you have a mistake wait until dry and go over again.
Moral: Don't make mistakes. Better 2 thin coats than one thick, saggy coat. If you do 2 coats flat off in between with wet'n'dry (about 240-340 grade), but let the 1st coat harden a bit first. If the paper clogs it will drag on the paint coat and gouge it. If you don't flat it there will be a build-up of any surface texture (brush strokes or orange-peel)

TaylorAFprimer.jpg

alec

Visit site
You might consider adding a product called Owatrol to the paint.

Lots of people rave about it on this forum.

You get a longer wetted edge and much better flow.

Have not used it myself though.

Great weather for painting boats !

jolojolo

Visit site
Many thanks for replys

So may be Brightside with a roller and then foam brush for lay
off.
Toplac may be too soft for my rough treatment, could try one
on each side as expirement but i think not.

thanks again -john