Paint Blisters

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I had my deck and cockpit painted by the paint shop in the boat yard last spring (April 01). When I was on the boat last weekend I noticed that some of the vertical surfaces have developed small 'blisters'.

Before I go and give the paint shop a piece of my mind and to find out what (if anything) can be done does anyone know what may have caused it?

Thanks

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
I have the same problem on the topsides of Patience, but as I did the painting,,,,,,,,?
I suspect that I painted over a patch or two where the dew/rain had not dried perfectly. my bubbles are under the last two coats only and, I suspect,are a form of osmosis.
Burst, clean, fill and repaint, that's my programme for the spring.
IanW.

Vertue 203, Patience

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Could be damp or maybe two pack paint over original one pack, which will cause problems. Whatever it is, I wouldn't be a happy bunny after paying to have the job done!

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G’Day Peter.
First of all there is not a lot ‘you’ can do yourself to produce blisters, short of lighting a fire in the cockpit (Not recommended).
The cause of the blisters may well be as listed above, moisture, wrong primer; but may be as simple as using all the right paints, primers and inter-coats but it only needs one of the undercoats to be ‘not quite cured’ to produce small blisters at a later date.
In view of the fact that it would be hard for you to cause the blisters I would get hold of a paint inspector and take his/her report to the boat yard.

Avagoodweekend Old Salt OZ……

G

You politely take the Yard Manager by the short and curlies and invite him to look at your boat.
You then politely squeeze while asking him to put it right before you enquire where the nearest trading standards are.

But of course you do have a Work Order or agreement with the yard for the work originally carried out ? Do you have any witnesses to the original agreement if not in writing ?

But the short and curlies normally has the desired effect and a threat to call the local press !