Oxwich Moorings

pondfish

Visit site
I picked up a mooring there years ago and it wasn't attached to anything... my advice is to use your own tackle...

Yes that was in the back of my mind if they are safe,
I intend being down there a few times this year,
I know I can use the marina but thought about staying at anchor for a few nights,

Last edited:

pondfish

Visit site
Oxwich was my summer joy as a kid, going there on a bus.
One attraction, was the massive area of hard sand, when the tide went out a few miles.
Hope your boat can take bottom! :D

I have used Oxwich for a good few years teaching our novice divers on the wreck,
It may seem to a small child it's miles and miles when the tide go's out because it's such a flat beach but things have moved on with the invention of GPS as I say to the wife when she is on the helm just stay off the grass lol

alant

Visit site
I have used Oxwich for a good few years teaching our novice divers on the wreck,
It may seem to a small child it's miles and miles when the tide go's out because it's such a flat beach but things have moved on with the invention of GPS as I say to the wife when she is on the helm just stay off the grass lol

Don't know why gps would make a difference, my point being that you need to anchor well out, to stay afloat.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Anch close in not amongst the moorings, nor close to the wreck which is marked with white paint on the rocks.
Last used anch point, with 2 mtr draft vessel.

Latitude Longitude
° 51 33.1920 N 004 08.5800 W

pondfish

Visit site
Don't know why gps would make a difference, my point being that you need to anchor well out, to stay afloat.

I'm not having a go at you just pointed out the gps will show you where the mean spring tide hight is it's green on my gps and I would defo be anchoring in deep water nowhere near the green lol

pondfish

Visit site
Anch close in not amongst the moorings, nor close to the wreck which is marked with white paint on the rocks.
Last used anch point, with 2 mtr draft vessel.

Latitude Longitude
° 51 33.1920 N 004 08.5800 W
Thanks for that I know there are a lot of disused chains around the moorings area so there is a good chance my anchor could get stuck so I intend staying clear,
I know the wreck area well so that is a no no even if it has got at least 4m depth at low water but 2m at times above water lol

Last edited:

norwester

Visit site
Ah! ... Long time past, about 1969,I knocked together my first sleep aboarder, a 17ft Lysander, and local friends let me have a mooring there for the summer. The moorings were way out from the beach near the end of of Oxwich point. A good mile out from the beach head at high water, near an old EW2 wreck...But, oh, what heaven!
These days, it would only be considered as an ' occasional anchorage' and in any strong easterly a deffo NO NO! My boat survived E winds of f8+there & so have many generations of other boats. The trouble is, these days, can you persuade your insurance co that it's ok?
I doubt :-( Good luck

nemodreams

Visit site
I've anchored there seveal times overnight. Last time fishing boats on any fixed moorings. I just anchor and check my tides so I don't whack at LW ( we had a very rock and roll there last year in a S 6 overnight - ran off to the Mumbles at 6 in the morning )
Watch out for the wooden wreck thing ! Good stop off place getting down channel - not much further to Oxwich from W Scar than into Swnsea - early HW to Tenby - pm HW to Milford after the range stops.

Geoff