Oxford Ditch online

Chris_d

Visit site
I know we have a few members and ex members;) on here of the Oxford Ditch, just wanted to announce that the Ditch now has a website:

http://www.oxfordditch.co.uk

Many thanks to Tony (aka boatone) for getting me up and running and hosting the site.

Its early days and not much on there yet, so any members who have any ideas or material they would like to see on there please pm me.

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Visit site
A very professionally prepared website; nice and clean. Congratulations.
Now some thing(s) are needed to fill the empty space.

In passing I clicked on the Rugs link. I was not aware of the collection - OK I knew about the existence of the Groups, but not the web page.

Within I found a minute that Peter Svendsen - lockie at Hambledon had retired quietly, in the off season, so there was no opportunity to thank him and say goodbye.

It's a shame as I'm sure many folk would like to say farewell to many 'keepers when they are about to retire. Perhaps TonyR who has his ear near the datum point could keep interested parties posted.

I have had a dim view of the Rugs in the past, but am reviewing my stance in the light of the quality of their minutes and the time spent by multitudinous persons in keeping folk up to date.

They are still mainly focused on land based users - but that is probably due to the lack of input from local boaters. What is needed, perhaps, is some overall coordination for users who cover greater lengths of the navigation.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Within I found a minute that Peter Svendsen - lockie at Hambledon had retired quietly, in the off season, so there was no opportunity to thank him and say goodbye.

It's a shame as I'm sure many folk would like to say farewell to many 'keepers when they are about to retire. Perhaps TonyR who has his ear near the datum point could keep interested parties posted.

I agree with you, and I have to admit I was unaware of his departure although there may be others here who knew? He was in the Argyll in Henley when some of us had a meal there one evening last month.

I see from the visithames website that he took over at Hambledon in 1975 so unless he spent time elsewhere he was in residence for some 35 years - worthy of recognition by anyone's standards !

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Visit site
I believe he is now living in the Isle of Wight, precisely where I know not, but could find out.

Yes, that would be nice - PM me if you don't want to publish details here.

The River is so much of a family - usually amongst folks who work on it but increasingly boaters are becoming accepted.

I know when I've made an effort to say goodbye and thank you, the recipient has been pleased and touched - embarrassment all round, but well worth the thought (and I'm a newbie in Thames terms).

I don't think users realise that fewer and fewer organisations have the family spirit, 'were watching a prog on't telly 'tother evening (prob Countryfile) where a small family business was struggling to re-establsh a wool fabric business. The ladies therein worked there stockings off to make the business succeed because they believed in it and the owner.

This attitude is dying out because a job is just a job and not a way of life as it was when we had locally owned and managed companies.
Everyone - in the good companies - feels valued and consequently will often go the extra mile.

I digress, once again.

It's like a bereavement, I wanted to say goodbye to Paul Fox (?) - Chertsey, but he slid away while sick.

I don't think the newer recruits to the job will view things in the same way, but, Hey, there's time enough to convert them..

Does anyone agree with me - I'm thinking of those who are discovering what the River offers; assuming that the senior members of this forum are well converted.

Gavi

Visit site
Hello Trueblue

We are only 5 years into river life yet find it thrilling and engaging. We have met new friends and have learnt a new respect for mother nature. Perhaps one day we will be the old river people....

byron

RIP
Visit site
Smashing effort Chris. The ODCC has had a website before back in the 1990s it was very mickey mouse compared to yours. It fell by the wayside as the club wasn't interested I guess because I was the only person on-line then. As a matter of interest why did you buy a dot.co.uk address rather than a dot.org.uk address?

ianc1200

Visit site
Peter Patch (Svendsen) once told me he used to run working narrowboats & managed to get a delivery signed as being to Inglesham Lock to be able to have the Thames and Severn Canal as a destination he'd achieved.

Very sad to hear he's gone, I'm sure I said the usual "see you next season" to him back in October. Some of these lock keepers are friends we've known for years and it's a shame we don't get to say good-bye.

Chris_d

Visit site
Smashing effort Chris. The ODCC has had a website before back in the 1990s it was very mickey mouse compared to yours. It fell by the wayside as the club wasn't interested I guess because I was the only person on-line then. As a matter of interest why did you buy a dot.co.uk address rather than a dot.org.uk address?

Thanks for the positive comments everyone, Boatone is the man if you need help to get this sort of thing started, a man of many talents :)

Byron I'm aware a club should technicaly be a .org but I went for .co.uk because most average semi computer literate folk don't understand the subtle differences and a .co.uk is easier to remember as its more common place, thinking of the ODDC typical profile;). I notice nearly all the other Thames clubs are .co.uk as well with the exception of Upper Thames, but dare I say that a .org does say "amateur" where as .co.uk looks more professional.

pheran

Visit site
...... but dare I say that a .org does say "amateur" where as .co.uk looks more professional.

Oooppps........they know where you live, you know!!
laughing.gif

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
....dare I say that a .org does say "amateur" where as .co.uk looks more professional.

.org certainly doesn't say 'amateur' It actually says you are an organisation or society rather than .co.uk which really implies that you are a business.

As you know, I suggested .org would be more suitable but I always do what the customer asks for and I agree with your 'ease of remembering' approach.

Last edited:

Chris_d

Visit site
.org certainly doesn't say 'amateur' It actually says you are an organisation or society rather than .co.uk which really implies that you are a business.

As you know, I suggested .org would be more suitable but I always do what the customer asks for and I agree with your 'ease of remembering' approach.

Ok i'll withdraw that comment only MHO as a layman, didn't intend to single out Upper Thames oops..... it just sort of came out that way, never mind I had no plans to join anyway:D