Owners websites?

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
Thanks to all

I can really recommend Wordpress.

Are you going to put your site's link up here Bob? I'd like to see it when its done.

Its not done Andy but I've made a start. It needs tweaking and the content is not all there yet. But it's here if you want to see - suggestions for improvements welcome.

www.tridentlottie.wordpress.com

Wordpress seems very easy (and my price - free!)

Many thanks to all who shared their websites with me. They were quite an inspiration.

auditdata

www.sephina.org
I have just started this with my boat. See www.sephina.org I have used a public domain content management system called Joomla. i.e.free. I started by using free web hosting to prototype the site (http://www.000webhost.com/) and when I was happy I purchased a domain and full hosting for about $40 per year! Using Joomla means you have access to a massive user community so you are likely to find "plug-ins" for all sorts of web functionality, forums, private sections, image management and even E-commerce.
Works fine for me but I admit although Joomla is very powerful it takes a little while to get to grips with it. There are some very good videos on the webhost site about how to get up and running with content management. One of the benefits is you are able to upload and manage content from any computer with web access anywhere.
Just one of the options.
Clive

Lakesailor

Visit site
Just found this thread and found it quite interesting. I made a small website about Windermere and lakesailor on Moonfruit just for fun really. The free version only has 20mb storage so it's full now.

I found it pretty simple to follow if a bit clunky so I decided to update my photography site using a similar method.
I signed up for another on-line creation service and found the interface the same as Moonfruit's.
So does that mean they all use the same software or the same outfit run different sites?

During the updating process ( I did this on my own machine using Dreamweaver software because I didn't want the rather clunky experience of making lots of changes on-line. The plan was then to upload the pics and copy and paste the text)
However by the time I'd done a lot of it decided to keep it on the server I had it on before and use the new Dreamweaver version as was.
I know lots of the webby people on here will decry Dreamweaver and their ilk because they produce loads of extra code. I am a visual person so the code side is a bit cloaked in smoke and mirrors. I like a graphic interface to play with.
In fact a bit of code to centre the page wouldn't work in my site. I guess it was fighting some existing code.
The point of this rambling is that having looked at quite a few of the on-line build services the product does tend to end up looking similar. With a lot of head scratching and working through the tutorials I expect you could get them to be a bit different.
I'm glad that I read this thread though, as it turned out that my Contact page wasn't showing, so it gave me an opportunity to fix that (the most important part)

Have a look here www.philbrown.co.uk

I've just started a blog as well. It's not really for other people, but more to keep a diary of my boating-related actuivities. I know I could actually write a diary - with a pen - but as I am on the computer most days and you can stick piccies in a blog I thought it would be easier.

The Lakesailor one is in my signature

Last edited:

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
Thanks

Thanks for that Lakesailer. I enjoyed your site.

Wordpress is very easy with hundreds of templates (website styles or "Themes" they call them) to choose from, a free hosting and domain option with a 3Gb upload limit. From scratch it took me about 5 mins to create a rudimentary site and after that the time has all been about creating content and organising images rather than coding etc. Wordpress is easy but sophisticated enough to be the choice of professionals - especially those creating sites for people who want to manage their own content. I've been impressed by several Moonfruit sites also but have not tried that system.

www.tridentlottie.wordpress.com

auditdata

www.sephina.org
Ooops

Thanks to Bob for pointing out my signature of www.sephina.org actually takes you to a Belly Dancers Site!!! seems I mistakenly typed "net" instead of "org" and when I corrected it the html tag still pointed to the "net" domain. Hope its right now and not too many boaties are taking up belly dancing! :rolleyes:
Clive

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
Thanks to Bob for pointing out my signature of www.sephina.org actually takes you to a Belly Dancers Site!!! seems I mistakenly typed "net" instead of "org" and when I corrected it the html tag still pointed to the "net" domain. Hope its right now and not too many boaties are taking up belly dancing! :rolleyes:
Clive

Shame. I liked it as it was.
www.sephina.net

SAWDOC

Visit site
Wauquiez Pretorian 35 Restoration

Here is a nice site (not mine) displaying some tasty restoration work - not on wordpress but i share the common view regarding wordpress's suitability for nautical blogging from web novices

http://svvalerosorefitpage.shutterfly.com/

I entertained myself one winter basically transcribing a log into a blog and adding a few pics where appropriate for our adventures in our last boat - gone but not forgotten, bless her!

http://nigheandonn2.wordpress.com/

Last edited: