Overwinter Malta?

Thames 4 Blood

Visit site
Hi All!
We are enjoying our 1st year in the Med. Sailed from Plymouth, UK on 2 May.
Currently in Almerimar and about to head up the Costa Blanca.

I had assumed we would winter in S. Spain or even Canaries before heading east next spring for Greece.

However, due to Spanish matriculation tax worries I am now going to leave Spain by mid September.

It actually makes sense for our plans for next season to head a bit further east anyway!

So... Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice overwinter, liveaboard marina in either Sicily or Malta?

Thanks.

Mark

RobGill

Visit site
We stayed in Grand Harbour, Malta in 2010 over winter and really enjoyed it. Lots of history, friendly people, easy flights home and fairly cheap.
Also met a few fellow liveaboards, crews on mega yachts etc and had a fairly good time. Was sad to leave.

We also visited Ragusa in 2010 but marina was really empty as had just opened but liked the town and plenty of places to visit by bus/rental car. There was not much in the way of chandleries at the time and they had not opened the boatyward but imagine that things have improved by now. I think quite a few people use it for over wintering now judging by this forum.

Richard10002

Visit site
If you winter in Malta, make sure you get some big steel springs for your mooring lines ... About €120 for a pair a few years ago. The Gregale winds kick up an enormous swell and most moorings are pretty badly affected.

RobGill

Visit site
We had no problem with swell in Grand Harbour (Camper Nicholson marina) but we were fairly well tucked away as we are only 9.7m. We were there 2010 and had great weather. 24 degress on Christmas day! Maybe the swell is bad in Msida marina?

Last edited:

chinita

Visit site
We wintered in both Msida Creek and Mgarr, Gozo. The swell was horrific from the Gregale in Mgarr. Casual observers could not believe we were living aboard as the boat was bucking like a mad thing. We just about coped with it by using snubbers made from small tyres nicked from a local scrappie.

Less of a problem in Msida but be aware that there are no marina staff keeping an eye on the boat if you are away so you need to discuss this with fellow liveaboards.

I don't know if this is stil the case but the MMA used to charge a premium for liveaboards residing over so many months. It is therefore prudent not to mention your status when booking in.

Perhaps somebody can update or confirm this?