Overnight anchoring

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Anyone know what the rules are in relation to anchoring up on the non-tidal Thames when no overnight moorings vacant? How about up around Cliveden? What about midstream on wide bits (with adequate lighting of course)?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Boats have the right to anchor in the non-tidal River for up to 24 hours in any one place but it must not cause an obstruction to other users.

Or put another way... don't anchor in a Fairway.

It can be a bit more technical than that. Some Riparian Owners own the river bed to the middle but I have never known anyone object to someone dropping their hook on "their land".

BG1

Visit site
On the few occasions I have anchored, I found it best to use a stern anchor as well to stop the boat swinging around from the wind. You could also anchor in weir stream backwaters where swinging wouldn't be a problem to other boats.

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Thanks guys - forgive my ignorance - new to this. Weir stream backwater - the bit upstream of a weir? How far have you got to be clear of the weir?

BG1

Visit site
Upstream or downstream of weir. The clearance off would be a common sense view. Safe from turbulent water, anchor not dragging, far enough away not to be disturbed by noise of weir. etc.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Would this be one of yours? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron.jpg

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Thats scary! Just finished refitting her before getting Breakers II from Turkey. Byron will have a new skipper in the spring (if he's good for his word).

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Thanks Byron, much appreciated - a fair bit of blood, sweat, sweariung, tears and cash have been expended. I do like your Ocean 37 - I went for the 42 because of the aft cabin arrangement and to maximise liveaboard space. She's a beaut. Hope to be on her full time from next summer. Can't wait!

TrueBlue

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds perfect - and not something I would imagine many nb's would try - so there's a chance of finding a spot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oy! Don't have a go at NB'ers UNTIL you've had experience of them..

Nb's are a lot more adventurous than other boaters - not the least because they're a bit more solid than AWB's, but also they tend not to have high superstructures.

Once away from official sites you should not have too much problem except in late July / August.

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
I wasn't having a go - and I have tried them. I'd just trust my twin Volvo Pentas to keep/get me out of trouble more than I would a single BMC. Also, not many nb's carry tenders for shore runs - all of which increases the probability of the weir stream backwater being vacant. I've been reading with interest the many and highly entertaining exchanges on the subject of NB's v cruisers and don't really understand the enmity that some appear to hold for the other. In my experience, any form of transportation will have it's fair share of twats and gentlemen/ladies. I do get peeved though when nb's won't raft up (which is what they are designed to do) - and nothing appears to be said/done to encourage them to do so - hence my query which started this thread.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Excellent, my sentiments exactly. Live and let live.

There lots of luvverley places to drop your hook, or tie the sharp end to a projecting tree branch - heaven know there are a lot of them, and drop a pin out the back.

My main message is that you won't have to do it that often.

BTW downstream of the weir is more acceptable as "safer", 'cos you'll only get carried into the trees / bank whereas upstream you may get carried onto the weir / cill. Anyway EA peeps take a dim view of it - for safety reasons.

To stifle protests I'm talking NEAR to the infrastructure.

ianc1200

Visit site
Another reason for anchoring is when a favourite mooring suddenly sprouts a "No Mooring" sign. A good example is inside the lower island at Beale Park, another, for a short while, just above Rushey Lock. My wife however refused to let me anchor there, citing dragging, being run down at night etc. We then started going coastal and had to anchor, and the first time was Hamford Water in the Walton Backwaters, and it blew up a bit (only 4 or 5) overnight from the NE. We rolled when the tide turned and was held between the tide and the wind for more than an hour and rolled horribly. Since then this has happened many times, and we've anchored a lot in the Deben and the Alde, bgut I'm sure I still won't be able to anchor in my favourite Thames places.

regards

IanC

Oen

Visit site
I used to anchor lots of the time on the non-tidal Thames. I agree, a kedge and bower anchor are usually essential. One major problem is being run down by rowing boats (no, seriously) and more than once, an early coffee in the wheelhouse was interrupted by the need to sound the horn etc.

Another alternative is kedging off - secure the bow to the bank with staked lines, then kegde the stern out (in fact, you approach the mooring point, lay the kedge, secure the lines, then tighten the kedge). So successful was this technique that I took a series of photos for a putative magazine article.

Cliveshep

Visit site
I agree with bow/stern anchors on the Upper Thames as one does tend to swing about all over the fairway. Trouble is the bottom holding is often in a massive clump of weed which tends to clog the flukes and any wind other than straight downstream causes the hook to drag and one swings all over the show, either into the channel or into nearest tree. SWMBO absolutely refuses to stand on deck all night fending off which I think is not very sporting of her. She also refuses to help haul a 25kg hook up with 200kg of assorted plantlife and rubbish attached in the morning!