Over the counter medications in Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar

Fascadale

Visit site
I’m in the early stages of considering what might be required in a comprehensive first aid kit and cruisers medicine chest as well as where best to source it.

I vaguely remember hearing that it was possible in Iberia to buy a wider range of over the counter medications.

I’m particularly thinking about stocking up with such things as antibiotics in preparation for a transat followed by a season in the Caribbean

I do plan to seek proper medical advice as to what I might need.

PlanB

Visit site
I seem to recall that you need a prescription for anti biotics in Spain. A few years back you could get a wider range of drugs off prescription but they tightened up. You might be OK if you can show an empty pack or a UK scrip.
For major trips, some people consult their GP or a private GP for prescriptions for a medicine chest.
I don't recall Gib being particularly flexible, but perhaps Capt Sensible will be along soon with pearls of wisdom.

greeny

Visit site
Things have tightened up in Spain over the last year or so, just turning up with an old packet will not guarantee you get served another.
Its the same in Portugal now. Much more difficult to get these drugs without prescription now. Not impossible though if you find a "friendly" Pharmacy and have a plausible tale to tell. If that fails then a visit to the local doctor usually gets you what you want, but you still need to explain why you want them. Replenishing the boat medication store worked for me a couple of years ago. As did the "on holiday and running out of my medication due to the flight cancellations because of the Ash cloud" That was a few years ago though.

Reactions: srm