Outboard paintwork

boomer

N/A
Visit site
I should be grateful for advice concerning repairs to the paintwork on my Mercury outboard. There are several bare patches on the cast ali parts, particularly the lower leg and the control handle. How should I prepare the metal? What primer, undercoat and paint should be used? Suppliers? Also can I obtain new transfers?

Grateful for any tips

G

It's a special paint system. The primer is the most important thing, and as a bonus, is toxic. Your local Mercury agent can supply all the necessary stuff, but be sure to get the preparation right, or it's all a waste of time.

G

I spent time trying to make the new outboard look a bit skaggy so nobody would nick it. Wonder if it's yours now. If so, sorry. Note that you can buy nice new cowlings, if you want.

jfm

Visit site
Yes, merc supply a special green primer, toxic like GW says, smells horrid. Then spray on Merc's balck topcoat. Quite easy. You don't need a great finish, they're not exactly smooth when they leave the factory. On the skeg and prop I wd not spend too much time on prep as you'll have to do it all again anyway. Decals are availalbe as spares, spensiv, about £75 for a set last time I bort some which was many years ago.

JFM

longjohnsilver

Visit site
50 to 5

If I remember rightly don't you mean that you took the 0 away from the 50 hp to fool the French into thinking that it was a 5hp - I bet the game was up when you tried to pick it up!!! Or was it a 15????