Outboard on dinghy

James Penhaligon

Visit site
I have a Burnham Scow 11' clinker-built wooden dinghy. I'm rebuilding an old Seagull Forty Plus 3-4 hp motor and wondered whether it was advisable to use this occasionally on the dinghy. I don't want to put undue strain on the Old Girl! I don't have an outboard bracket at present, but it looks like the Seagull would bolt onto the transom.
Many thanks,
J

VicS

Visit site
I have a Burnham Scow 11' clinker-built wooden dinghy. I'm rebuilding an old Seagull Forty Plus 3-4 hp motor and wondered whether it was advisable to use this occasionally on the dinghy. I don't want to put undue strain on the Old Girl! I don't have an outboard bracket at present, but it looks like the Seagull would bolt onto the transom.
Many thanks,
J

If the dinghy is sound it should be fine.

Seagulls do not have any resilient rubber mountings in their construction however so all the vibration is transmitted to the boat!

If the outboard can be clamped directly on the transom this would probably be better than adding a mounting bracket.

A standard shaft 40+ will be ok up to a transom top height above the water level of around 15", If it is any more than this you will need a long shaft model

BTW Seagulls post 1968 can be converted to run on a 25:1 fuel mix like the post 1978 models, and those with Bing carbs, by changing the carb needle. It makes them a lot less messy to handle.

James Penhaligon

Visit site
Many thanks. We've done the needle conversion and she's all back together. Won't fire though - suspect the magneto. Also the fuel doesn't seem to be getting through. My son - the competent mechanic - is googling as I write!

James Penhaligon

Visit site
Many thanks. I've seen that one and it's helped me to identify and date my motor - August 1968. It was running when I bought it, two years ago, but has sat in a shed since then. My son and I have stripped it, freed it off, cleaned it up, changed the needle and put it all together with new gaskets. I suspect that the magneto is needing attention and there seems to be a fuel blockage somewhere - it's reaching the carb but not being sucked in and the priming button has no effect. Son is googling it all.

Tranona

Visit site
The lack of fuel will be either the filter just inside the outlet or the cork in the fuel cock. Empty the fuel out through the filler and unscrew the fuel cock. The culprit will be there for all to see - a blob of congealed 2T oil. wash it out in clean petrol and replace. Make sure the cock is free to move and liquid passes through it.

it will be a Wipac Mag - bronze colour. you can access the points by removing the plastic cover. If you do need to remove the flywheel, slacken the nut, but leave it on, hold the flywheel and hit the nut square. Do not hit or use ny levers on the flywheel as they have a tendency to crack.

James Penhaligon

Visit site
Thanks. We'll look tomorrow. I think the fuel is running through the fuel line but not being drawn into the carb. I've found a diagram of the carb on the SOS site - will have a good look tomorrow and see if we can crack it.

Tam Lin

Visit site
I think your big mistake was in taking it apart! It is quite normal for Seagulls to spend two years in a garage then start second pull!:)

And don't forget the old recharging the coil trick by turning the motor over with an electric drill. (Or something).

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
There s filter in the banjo connection to the carb as well

But if the fuel is actually getting to the carb but not filling the bowl and the tickler button has no effect the needle valve is stuck/blocked.

The spinning with an electric drill trick is described on the SOS website.

A 1968 model should have a Mk 2 , Wipac, ignition. If it in fact has a Villers ignition suspect the coil or condenser. Make sure points are cleaner than a clean thing ...

Tam Lin

Visit site
Of course, in the best traditions of the forum I feel that it is only fair to inform you that Seagulls are an archaic leftover from last century, which pollute the atmosphere and should be dumped in a deep part of the ocean!

VicS

Visit site
Of course, in the best traditions of the forum I feel that it is only fair to inform you that Seagulls are an archaic leftover from last century, which pollute the atmosphere and should be dumped in a deep part of the ocean!

But this is the archaic leftovers forum!

Romeo

Visit site
I feel it is only fair to inform you that gentlemen use oars on their scows, rather that outboards of any flavour.