Outboard for 19 foot trailer sailer

BenMurphy

Visit site
I'm looking at buying a trailer sailer, but one of my options (a Manta 19) doesn't come with an outboard, so I'm trying to figure out what size outboard I would need and what my outlay would be.

According to the "generally accepted rule", you should have 1hp per 500lbs of displacement or thereabouts. Thus - as the boat displaces 1500lbs - 3 to 3.5hp should be ok.

However I'd likely be sailing her in the solent and I don't want to get caught out underpowered if I end up in a situation where I'm punching the tide. So should I edge on the size of caution and go for 4hp or even 5hp??

What size does everyone else use for similar boats?

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I think you may mean an Manta 19 sailing yacht.

I suppose the 3.5hp should be ok. More is always handy and probably unlikely to affect the trim of the boat too much. If 4stroke, 4hp and up is likely to start at 26kg weight which is quite a lot to handle on a regular basis but would include reverse and neutral gears.

BenMurphy

Visit site
Yes I mean a Manta. Bloody autocorrect! ?

That’s a really good point about the weight. I’m looking at the Mariner 4-strokes. The 3.5hp is 17kgs, but the 4hp is a whopping 25.

I think you may mean an Manta 19 sailing yacht.

I suppose the 3.5hp should be ok. More is always handy and probably unlikely to affect the trim of the boat too much. If 4stroke, 4hp and up is likely to start at 26kg weight which is quite a lot to handle on a regular basis but would include reverse and neutral gears.

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
I had a Manta 19 and the engine was a Tohatsu 5hp longshaft saildrive. I think it was a 2 stroke.
I used it occasionally on the west coast of Scotland. When you are bouncing about in a seaway more power is good and also the longshaft keeps the propeller immersed.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Yes I mean a Manta. Bloody autocorrect! ?

That’s a really good point about the weight. I’m looking at the Mariner 4-strokes. The 3.5hp is 17kgs, but the 4hp is a whopping 25.

Personally, I would rather have an 8kg weight saving, rather than an extra 0.5hp.

As others have suggested, the correct depth of outboard (probably a long-shaft in this car, but do check) is important.

Also make sure that the outboard you get is geared/propped for driving a yacht. Standard versions of outboards of that size will be suited to driving a lightweight dinghy, not a small yacht, and will not be able to deliver their full power when used on the latter.

Before you commit yourself, is there anyone who would lend, or hire, you an outboard, so you will have some idea how a particular size & weight suits you?

The Manta 19 is a nice looking boat. I was very tempted by one once.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I had a Mariner 4hp 2stroke long shaft on my Leisure 17. It was sufficient to overcome the adverse tide leaving and returning to my mooring and achieve about 4.5kn in still water. 5hp would have given better performance but significantly heavier for carrying and would have affected the trim on a small boat.
I was lucky to get the one I did as I knew nothing about outboards at the time.

Stemar

Visit site
A 3.5 pushed my Snapdragon 24 along adequately in reasonable conditions, but punching a 6 and dodging sailing dinghies because the diesel didn't want to play once was, let's just say, interesting. All the same, I reckon it ought to do the job on a Manta 19, 5' shorter and less than a third the displacement.

Personally, I would rather have an 8kg weight saving, rather than an extra 0.5hp.

As others have suggested, the correct depth of outboard (probably a long-shaft in this car, but do check) is important.

Big +1 on both points. a 4 stroke 3.5 is quite enough to lug around.

BTW, look for an OB with a proper neutral rather than a centrifugal clutch, and a twistgrip throttle (maybe they all have them now, but my old 2 stroker only had a lever).

northwind

Visit site
I have an 18ft microcupper, a 2.5hp pushes it along at about 4knots at not much above idle. Bear in mind that 4hp is at full throttle, something you are not likely to use as you start to fight displacement.

Longshaft as already mentioned is a necessity to make sure the prop is buried as deep as possible.

The main downside of the smaller engine is the lack of remote tank, although it is possible to mod it to take one.

Alfie168

Visit site
My Dehler 22 came with a Honda 4.5HP long shaft, which is just an emissions adjusted Honda 5HP. It does the job, and whilst you can't sling it over your shoulder it is manageable as I take it off and stow it below hidden under an old sheet. There is a little harness with a grab handle you can buy ( I havnt got one) so as to ease lifting and reduce chances of dropping it in the drink ( you could attach a halyard or topping lift if nervous).
I don't think it's too heavy and the extra power is comforting in a chop.

Kilo

Visit site
Hey there, the original owners blurb for the Manta 19 said 5hp, there was a guy down in Devon who removed all the sailing gubbinns & had two outboards; an 8 and a 6(back up)! Must have been horribly out of trim with all that weight.
I have a 4hp but due to C19 & subsequent penury haven't had her in the water yet :( other than when I collected her. I used a 3. 5 ac Yamaha for the collection & that pushed her along fine in the Thames, winter, running quite fast but couldn't say how fast
Most people manage with 4 - 6hp
Have you looked at the owners site? Lots of good info there in the older blogs..
Good luck

Capt Popeye

Visit site
might suggest that when considering size of outboard decide wether you want a real reverse gear and neutral , according to the area you are sailing in

Bear in mind that when the spec sheets for the now older yacht designs they were surely stating 2 stroke which are lighter than themodern 4 strokes

steve yates

Visit site
I have a bradwell 18 powered by a mariner 5 longshaft, which gives her plenty of power and enough grunt to push upstream against the tide when going up rivers etc. It is heavy, but not too heavy to lift up and down over the side when required or to be carried by one person.

BenMurphy

Visit site
I have a bradwell 18 powered by a mariner 5 longshaft, which gives her plenty of power and enough grunt to push upstream against the tide when going up rivers etc. It is heavy, but not too heavy to lift up and down over the side when required or to be carried by one person.

I think the Mariner 5 Longshaft is what I'm tending towards to be honest. The weight on the back of the Bradwell 18 didn't cause any issues with trim?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I think the Mariner 5 Longshaft is what I'm tending towards to be honest. The weight on the back of the Bradwell 18 didn't cause any issues with trim?
Who said sailing is full of compromises .:)

You do get loads more mpg with a four stroke and probably less noise. I suppose it depends on how much motoring you intend doing . I use ear plugs when under motor for more than an hour.

steve yates

Visit site
Not really but my boat was quite loaded up. I have always intended to, but not got round to yet, having a lot more chain than the 10m I have on the anchor, to make the anchor/chain weight similar to the ob at the back.
To be honest, I weigh 90 kg and when I sit on one side of the cockpit or other, the boat doesnt tip in that direction :)