Out of Qeenborough..

ginwoodf

Visit site
When I venture out of Queenbourough and head round for Ramsgate etc I always head out into the deeper water offshore before turning east and running down the coast towards the Foreland. Are there any advantages to hugging the coastline instead?? I draw about 1.5 mtrs.
Thanks Gordon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: Out of Queenborough.

Four advantages:

1. Its considerably more sheltered in winds between S and W, with flat seas even in strong winds (but you'll still cop it at North Foreland of course).

2. The tides are a lot weaker over the shallow water, if for some reason you want to do this against the tide.

3. You have the easy alternative of running up the Swale if say the weather deteriorates.

4. It's a more direct route.

Its shallow all the way, but with 1.5m you can get through comfortably at all stages of the tide. Beware going too close to Warden Point, which is shallow a long way out to the east, and take care through the Gore Channel which is narrow. However, the offshore route through the Princes Channel is safer in strong onshore winds between N and E.

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
Although not familiar with the waters, I took the inside route last year after several difficult forays through the Princes channel in wind-against-tide conditions, and found it quite good going; I saved about 1 1/2 hrs too.
I'll second everything AndrewB remarks. It is imperative however, not to to miss the gap between the red and green cans opposite the Reculver towers, the only danger spot on the journey. If you deceide on the Princes channel however, please note the character and position of the buoys changed considerably in June this year.

<hr width=100% size=1>