Our health

lezgar

Visit site
Yesterday in the RYA dinghy show there were children making wooden oars and they were sanding without glasses and masks. Usually when I go to the marina there are people sanding in their boats and they don't wear masks.

I think that teacher first have to teach health protection and after how to made it.

romany123

Visit site
I normaly stand outside and look through the window when there is DIY going on in the house...hate the dust ...best bet if you get bored is to go down the pub till its all over

Dave

tcm

Visit site
yeah, see your point Grehan. But actually, at an RYA show (or any other vaguely professionally orgainsed DIY like at school) it would be an idea to show tham how to do it "properly". Bit late to worry bout health hazards after one or two have taken up oar manufacture with enthusiasm for a few years. Tho otherwise, not a major Cause For Concern, unles you are a geography teacher in which case every single damn lesson drones on about pollution, I hear.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
ok ok

ok
RYA Show - Best Practice Example and all that jazz - point fully accepted.

But even so . . . when our lads were younger we were ever so slightly more concerned about drink and drugs and rock n'roll . . . than sawdust.
I guess someone will now prove that sanding oars causes lung cancer, or birth defects, or ??? A veritable danger to humanity just like those dreaded red hot toasted Pop Tarts that BBC TV's Watchdog "Exposed" a few years back. Children (or "kids" as we must now call them) were dropping like flies.

I guess I must be incredibly complacent but in a universe crammed full of Things to Worry About and human beings' Limited Capacity to Worry About Them, I think there must be higher priorities.

I'm a poor example too. As a teenager I blew myself up experimenting making hydrogen in my home-made laboratory over our garage. And accidentally cut through live cable with some pliers. Not at the same time. And just the once.

Still, it obviously explains quite a lot.

DanTribe

Visit site
If they are reputable builders and work to the safety rules, they will have almost finished doing a risk assessment and filing a Heath & Safety Plan by the time you return.