Our first Thames cruise

NealB

Visit site
A follow up to my query about where to moor.

We moved Arendala from Chertsey down to Limehouse last Thursday and Friday, stopping overnight by Hampton Court (thanks again for the suggestions).

All went well, except the port engine began to overheat. The raw water pump's impellor has lost four vanes. No spare onboard so we finished the trip on the starboard engine. New impellor arrives tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that'll fix it.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Now heareth the first lesson "thou shalt always carry spare impellors" Here endeth the 1st lesson /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Re: We had checked that we had spares...

Dont know how long Arendala has been on the non tidal Thames, but if its any length of time and she's not been down the tideway and opened up for some years (quite common with non tidal boats) then you would do well to pay close attention to the state of the fuel and the tanks. The trip down the tideway will have stirred up long settled crud which would well cause impeller damage and blocked filters. I would take a look at the filters as a matter of urgency.

Incidentally, have you managed to get a permanent berth in Limehouse?

ianc1200

Visit site

re "Where did the bits from the broken impeller go ?? Did you find them ?"

Very good point. Mine lost more than half the fins before my return from the coast last year, and my engineer said get the pipe off from the pump; I thought this was silly as they'd just would have gone out the exhaust, but they were there, almost blocking the next connection, and all came out in large chunks. So do look!

IanC

Cliveshep

Visit site

I thought the same thing - bits will go out exhaust (which they don't!) Forgot all about it when boat started overheating, looked everywhere else, called Manufacturers, bought new pump, hoses, stat, sender, took off head, couldn't find cause of problem. Felt a right idiot when fitting pump and found short link pipe on inlet choked with impellor vanes. Oddly, bits went backwards down inlet pipe against the flow, would have thougfht they'd have wound up against the heat exchanger core. Wasted most of the boating year wrestling with the problem before finding the cause.