Our choices, our boat and fitting out for circumnavigation.

jamiepyoung

Visit site
We're running a few months behind you.

We plan to break away in the next couple of months. Just the small matter of a house to sell and then buying another one.

Our 1973 Nicholson 35 is a seasoned circumnavigator.

We, on the other hand, are not.

Here is our old girl: roserambler.wordpress.com

She's pretty compact, but a sturdy thing. We'll add details if people are interested.

PS our top loading fridge is great. Now.

AndrewB

Visit site
An odd thing we found when long-distance cruising for a number of years, was that through time our kit got simpler and more basic. Things that didn't work well and we found not essential were not replaced. This included the chart plotter, generator, autopilot, integrated navigation system. If kit did have to be replaced, we always bought the best we could. The only extras over the last seven years were solar panels and a satellite phone. Incidentally we did use our fridge in port where power was available but on passage it was switched off.

I think the moral is not to be too concerned about having everything when you set out, but pick stuff up as and when you feel a need for it.

Last edited:

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I think the moral is not to be too concerned about having everything when you set out, but pick stuff up as and when you feel a need for it.

I agree with that (in hindsight).

It's all to easy to get fit-out-itis before you leave and then later at popular stopover cross-roads (Trinidad being a prime location for aggravating this affliction :) ).

geem

Visit site
I found the opposite. it is far easier to get the things you want/need for your yacht in the UK. Trying to find a good supply of marine equipment when you are away is not easy. I enjoy the systems we have on-board. crossing the Atlantic last winter we all ate very well from the well stocked fridge and freezer. this is one of the pleasures for me on a long passage, good food. Sat in a Caribbean anchorage I cant imagine being without a fridge. Cold beer, ice cubes, butter, yogurt, salad. All things we take for granted. We have a back up autopilot, second chart plotter, generator (only used for running the large watermaker) but a back up 3kw inverter to run the watermaker if the generator was to fail. Engine alternator, solar, wind combinations together is enough to run watermaker via inverter. I enjoy building the systems and running them.

AndrewB

Visit site
I found the opposite. it is far easier to get the things you want/need for your yacht in the UK. Trying to find a good supply of marine equipment when you are away is not easy. I enjoy the systems we have on-board. crossing the Atlantic last winter we all ate very well from the well stocked fridge and freezer. this is one of the pleasures for me on a long passage, good food. Sat in a Caribbean anchorage I cant imagine being without a fridge. Cold beer, ice cubes, butter, yogurt, salad. All things we take for granted. We have a back up autopilot, second chart plotter, generator (only used for running the large watermaker) but a back up 3kw inverter to run the watermaker if the generator was to fail. Engine alternator, solar, wind combinations together is enough to run watermaker via inverter. I enjoy building the systems and running them.
If you are crossing the Atlantic, then kit is considerably cheaper in USA (incl Puerto Rico) than in the UK.

Everyone to their own. For me, long-distance cruising was about the sailing, seeing the world and meeting interesting people from all over. Maintenance was (and is) a distraction.

geem

Visit site
If you are crossing the Atlantic, then kit is considerably cheaper in USA (incl Puerto Rico) than in the UK.

Everyone to their own. For me, long-distance cruising was about the sailing, seeing the world and meeting interesting people from all over. Maintenance was (and is) a distraction.

We did a lot of research on cost of kit in USA and UK. We wanted to upgrade out winches. Cost in USA is a lot more than I pay in UK. Other parts similary cheaper or no cost difference. By comparison last time we were in Caribbean 10 years ago cost of USA sourced parts were a lot cheaper but then we were getting $2 to £1.
Long distance cruising is about sailing, meeting people for me also but I dont see why I need to do it with making sacrifises I woudnt tollerate living in my house. Of course there is a balance to be struck but the engineer in me enjoys the systems onboard and maintenance isnt a chore it is just part of the process for me.

BruceDanforth

Visit site
Erm, if you use the ampair when you have no wind then it is just going to be a very inefficient way of getting energy out of your engine.

So far we have 200w of solar which produces a max of about 11amps. However if there are shadows or cloud we get about half of that. The wind gives us between 3 and 8 Amps on an average passage. This should cover our needs. We also will run the engine for a couple of hours a day to top up batteries and heat water.
The ampair, is fantastic when we have used it. I am just paranoid about losing the prop, so will possibly only use it if we're lacking wind or sun. However we have a biscay trip next month and it will be a good outing for the prop.