Osborn Bay -aargh.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Arrived back from Cherbourg late last night and as I was single handed I decided to anchor in Osborne Bay and then move the boat back to Ocean Village in the morning. Unfortunately some fisherman has decided that the anchorage in Osborn Bay is the ideal place to lay a load of crab pots. Luckily and it was really only by luck that I did not become entangled.

What goes though the mind of a fisherman to lay crab pots in an anchorage? Black un-illuminated empty plastic cans are very difficult to see and I think this is highly irresponsible. Isn't it time that some regulation of where crab pots are laid and the design of markers is imposed in the Solent?

Seven Spades

Visit site
Thank you very much for that I have sent an email and copied in the RYA legal department. We all know that there are pot markers around but to fill a popular anchorage with pots is the height of stupidity and potentially dangerous.

Last edited:

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have recieved an email from Southampton VTS, Osborn Bay is under the jurisdiction of QHM Portsmouth. I am looking to see if they have any bylaws, I suspect not.

jac

Visit site
The ones that get me (not literally yet) are the ones along the edge of the channel West of calshot spit. Monday we were coming back and staying out of the deep water channel (how many cruise liners!!) and lost count of the numbers we had to dodge in about 4m of water (about an hour before LW) that area is crossed by countless boats keeping out of the prohibited zone

l'escargot

Visit site
Noticed some last week on the eastern side of the entrance channel to Lymington, between the 1st, 2nd & 3rd posts. At nearly low water the markers had enough slack in the lines to be within the channel.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I wonder if everyone who finds pots not marked with a dan buoy and flag cut them adrift, would the fishermen soon do something about it? ... I'm not suggesting that people actually do this you understand, just speculating!

jac

Visit site
I wonder if everyone who finds pots not marked with a dan buoy and flag cut them adrift, would the fishermen soon do something about it? ... I'm not suggesting that people actually do this you understand, just speculating!

They might.

Equally, lots of people may object to leaving pots on the bottom to trap and kill the crabs/ lobsters

jac

Visit site
Wheras the crabs / lobsters have a so much better outlook if hoiked to the surface and sold to a restaurant !

True but at least they don't go to waste. Leave the pot down there, the crabs/Lobsters die and I get no food.

More acceptable would be lifting them, freeing the Lobsters,(Possibly by eating) and then taking the pot to a lost property type facility, maybe near Birmingham.

BelleSerene

Visit site
So as it's an offence to lay pots there
In accordance with Dockyard Port of Portsmouth Order 2005 Paragraph 6, failure to observe this direction will constitute a criminal offence.

and QHM say it will (would, if they had the resources) be removed
In compliance with MCA guidelines (Marking of Fishing Gear). All fishing gear should be set outside of all navigable channels. Any unmarked and unattended fishing gear will be removed.

why don't we just pull the things up, enjoy a good dinner, and sell the abandoned - that's what they legally are - lobster pots?

Is that where you're on the right side of the law but the wrong side of potential violence?

Seven Spades

Visit site
As far as I can see where they laid is not a "Navigable Channel" but they are not marked correctly with a Danbouy, I cn't see that that they are breaking any other rules except good manners. I will forward my complaint to QHM but I have little faith that anything will be done about it.

BelleSerene

Visit site
As far as I can see where they laid is not a "Navigable Channel" but they are not marked correctly with a Danbouy, I cn't see that that they are breaking any other rules except good manners. I will forward my complaint to QHM but I have little faith that anything will be done about it.

By that reasoning, if I laid bent nails on the road - but only on minor roads, mind, not on the A roads or motorways - then I wouldn't be breaking any rules except good manners.

I think not.

I'm with you that nothing will be done about it by QHM though.

epervier

Visit site
I understand that the target species are actually cuttlefish. There must be a market somewhere.

A very valuable market, 5€ 11 cents a kilo cleaned,4€ 06 cents unclean, todays spot price, but you get ink everywhere and it's a right b to remove it.

just how valuable?

Last summer a fisherman friend landed 900 kilos in one 24 hr period. that's serious coin by most peoples standards.