Origo stove?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Is there enough gas in one of those canisters to blow up a boat? ;-)

A disposable gas cannister holds 227g of butane, which is 4.72 mol and therefore occupies 106 litres at stp. The lower and upper explosive limits for butane are 1.8% and 8.4%, so that one cartridge will form an explosive mixture in a total volume of 1290 to 5890 litres, or 1.29 to 5.89 m[sup3[/sup].

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Is there enough gas in one of those canisters to blow up a boat? ;-)

A disposable gas cannister holds 227g of butane, which is 4.72 mol and therefore occupies 106 litres at stp. The lower and upper explosive limits for butane are 1.8% and 8.4%, so that one cartridge will form an explosive mixture in a total volume of 1290 to 5890 litres, or 1.29 to 5.89 m3.

NealB

Visit site
A disposable gas cannister holds 227g of butane, which is 4.72 mol and therefore occupies 106 litres at stp. The lower and upper explosive limits for butane are 1.8% and 8.4%, so that one cartridge will form an explosive mixture in a total volume of 1290 to 5890 litres, or 1.29 to 5.89 m3.

That's a 'yes', I think, isn't it?

doug748

Visit site
It could be you!
Well that isn't actually true is it? If you said 99% you;d have some wiggle room but I can personally think of three gas explosions on boats that I can recall in the last 30 odd years (that makes an average of one per 10 years, not 20, and that's only the ones I can personally recollect) and I came within a split second of a potentially fatal explosion due to a split gas pipe (not my boat, not my gas pipe, words were had!)

It's a poetic truth.

My figures indicate that you are 2500 times more likely to score a massive win on the lottery than explode on a boat. How likely does that feel.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
It's a poetic truth.

My figures indicate that you are 2500 times more likely to score a massive win on the lottery than explode on a boat. How likely does that feel.

Consequences of not winning the lottery. Minor disappointment

Consequences of going kablooie in a ball of gas fueled flames. Bit of a bad hair day

I'll risk the disappointment :D

Oh and if you don't win the lottery this week, you get another chance next week. And the week after that. And so on. If you're number comes up and you come over all crispy it tends to be a bit of a one off deal.

(I am playing devils advocate I confess because there is no killer, aha, reason not to have gas boat provided the installation is safe and the system is properly maintained and operated. The lack of a proper gas bottle locker on older and/or smaller boats, e.g. ours, makes that harder to achieve and I don't have a problem myself with the elegant simplicity of a spirit stove)

charles_reed

Visit site
Gas is safe if you have two brain cells to rub together.

Origo cookers work on geological timescales to boil or cook anything.

They fill the boat with the stink of meths / spirits.

Gaz is expensive to refill but I use less than a 907 bottle per season now pubs offer meals inc breakfasts.

It's interesting what extreme views alcohol stoves seem to arouse - having had one I'd never have one again - but I do live on my boat for 6/12 months and prefer sedate practicality to neurotic caution.