origo cabin heater - do they work

Burnham Bob

Visit site
searched forums in case this has been answered but no results. i'm anxious to extend our sailing season but an eberspacher is too expensive and i've got no room.

so for heating when we are at anchor or on the boat at a marina (if we have mains I have a fan heater) are they any good?

Dutch01527

Visit site
Yes but....

- messy to fill
- large, think of a small bucket size
- ok for spring / autumn in my previous boat (26 foot) to take the edge of the cold but not winter or if you want "cosy". I always made sure that I had good ventilation because of worries about CO2 which did not help retaining the heat.

I would say ok for occasional use but not comparable with a real heating solution. Suitcase generator and fan heater was much better but limitation because of noise in marina if neighbours boats are occupied.

I still use it the generator when my espacher does not work properly, which is quite a lot of the time. And it is great for power tools when needed.

Last edited:

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
I tried one for a little time on my gaffer some years ago. OK heat wise if you sat near it but the pointy end of the boat was like a fridge. Also I found they produce a LOT of condensation. But the final nail in the coffin was it set off my CO alarm.

I have an old eberspacher. It works on parafin no problem. Works on diesel when it's in the mood. You are welcome to it if you fancy a play. It would need an exhaust and other bits of plumbing. My son was going to fit it in his Hurley 22. With a gallon can of parafin. Easily fit in a locker in the cockpit. He has sold the boat. PM me if your interested.

Steve

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
My Origo cooker constantly sets off my two CO monitors even when I use it with hatch open. I like it for cooking but not for heating and I assume the Origo heater has the same combustion process.

I also have a Feuerhand hurricane lantern which uses lamp oil. This creates good warmth and does not set off the CO monitor or give off eye watering fumes like the Origi burning meths or bio-ethanol.

The hurricane lantern also gives a nice cabin ambience.