Orfordness overfalls

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
Has anyone got experience of these?

I am looking to reduce the distance on my old routes along the East Coast and think i can save about 8 miles on a trip if i go through the overfalls /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (forward planning to losing the red diesel next year as well)
plan is to go through about 1 1/2 hours before HW which the chart suggests will be ok as the overfalls are shown on the ebb. however everytime i have passed they always look iffy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (not sure what state of tide i have gone through in the past)

it also means i am starting to use what i was taught in DS and CS courses and using the tidal streams to my advantage /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So, some local knowledge from those who regularly pass through the area, please

thank you

Doug

pennycar9

Visit site
Perhaps I can offer some help here.As is the norm with ness's and sticking out headlands.Orford ness is no different. If you are heading North towards your home port you are better to carry the ebb to take advantage of the free ride from the tidal stream but you also get the overfalls here. I've never seen them too bad but I would suggest 2 things; Close inshore to the ness there is plenty of deep water and the overfalls do not affect the inshore route,you must be mindfull of the Aldeburgh Ridge and go all the way to Aldeburgh Town close inshore,The channel is called the Onion.Not very clever in the dark, The other option is to go to the outside of the Whiting bank(watching out for the Cutler and Bawdsey banks,Stay about a mile off the Ness and you wont spill your wine. Mainly the over falls are to the SW of the ness and are at the strongest at HW+3and+4.

DAKA

Visit site
As a rule my courses stay clear of overflows

It is alright to use them when calm and I do cut corners on the day after I check state of water

But

when it is rough and you have been delayed, you may not be sure of water depth or even which way the tide is going, if things are going wrong I dont want to re navigate I just want to follow a little arrow and devote my time to keeping the boat upright /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

in short
navigate to avoid overflows but cut the corner if calm.

pm sent, I will check my charts tonight to see how close I went last time, once I put a course on a chart it stays on ready for next time.

Greg2

Visit site
Hi Doug,
Probably already bored you with our tales of Orford Ness with Devocean a couple of years ago. Went about 3-4 miles off on our way down the coast and experienced wind over tide - bleedin' awful!! Like being in a washing machine - taking water over the top and crashing the whole boat length into troughs (Broom Ocean 37 back then). A real trial that nearly put the family off for life /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Done several trips close inshore (both ways) since then in fairly calm conditions and never had a problem. It does get a bit more lumpy, particulalry in the shallower water, in the vicinity of the ness but apart from that it has been fine.

As Brigid Mary says, need to keep an eye on the navigation and avoid the banks. Personally, I usually go on the outside of Aldburgh Ridge as there is a bit more sea room!!

Hapy to share waypoints from the plotter next time you are at the club.

DAKA

Visit site
Hi Doug,
Aldeburgh ridge was the name of the buoy I couldnt remember.

From Shotley

Washington
NE Bawdsey
Alderburgh Ridge

That is where I ran into the drift net
fab30e655cb5f4f8e991d6fb8b25f388.jpg

Usually I was well outside when crossing Thames estuary

N shipwash
Kentish knock
Broadstairs knoll

when out there watch out for the tide taking you onto Long sand head
A Princess 415 parked there for lunch one day /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

pennycar9

Visit site
Good Greif Daka did you go via Holland. That route looks an extremely long way round to me.!!!!!! Doug I have a trip over to Ijmuiden on Saturday if you're up for it. Back Sunday night.

DAKA

Visit site
I havent got any charts with me so could have slipped up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
My pm to doug explained I wasnt a local , we spent half a summer season in shotley but I have found a month usually affords us more experience than 95% of locals /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I went out from Harwich and crossed where the HM recommends, then went up the Sledway .

When heading south from Lowerstoft to Dover I do go well out for the shorter route and I have never tried to zig zag through the Thames sandbanks, one of my mates tried that and had a Picnic on Long sand .

We are heading West this weekend thanks, otherwise I would have been keen on Holland, I am trying to persuade SWMBO a season at Dover would open our cruising grounds but she is not keen.....

Have a great cruise /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
Pete

I think Brigid Mary was offering me the Holland trip but you could have taken my place /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

have you been to Holland? cant believe with the time you spent on the East Coast you havent spent some time there.

DAKA

Visit site
/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Doh, I read it as Doug and I.

We went on an MBM cruise to Imujden, Amsterdam and had a great time.

We plan to return but not sure when.

Cheers
Pete